Let's take a look at the numbers. San Bernardino has an annual budget of $258 million; it is running a budget deficit of $45 million. Where does that money go? To the unions, largely. About three-quarters of the general fund goes to personnel; 78 percent of that 75 percent goes to public safety employees, the most lucratively compensated of all government...
"What's more, despite the bankruptcy declarations, union pensions probably won't be touched. Those are contracts that were signed, sealed and delivered long ago; the benefits have already begun to vest". - Shapiro Do you know what bankruptcy is? By definition bankruptcy is the breaking and re-negotiating of contracts. In NJ pensioners lost their COLA with a simple legislative acttion, with bankruptcy even more is on the table.
This week, the city of San Bernardino, Calif., went bankrupt. It followed hot on the heels of Vallejo and Stockton, Calif. And they'll be followed, no doubt, by Los Angeles -- and then, shortly after that, by California.
- Video: Feds probing Maryland ObamaCare exchange Ed Morrissey 14 minutes ago
- Nancy Pelosi: A Republican friend of mine told me that his party is “indifferent” to “really hungry children,” you know Erika Johnsen 54 minutes ago
- Nudity, prudity, and double standards on cable television Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Funny or die: Obama pitches ObamaCare to Zach Galifianakis; Update: Goal achieved Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Netanyahu: PA has to recognize Israel as a Jewish state Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll shows Obama underwater on Ukraine crisis, Russia Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago