Periodically, CATO analyzes the federal budget to ascertain exactly how much money our government shovels out to favored parties. Unfortunately, over the years both parties...
Cronyism is the most insidious form of corruption and is widespread. Consider a recent civil (non-criminal) federal court case in Texas. In this case, the judge and his friends threatened the litigant (the "victim") with "death" and seized, without any notice or hearing, prohibited him from hiring a lawyer, and essentially into a bizarre civil lockdown. The litigant has been under this civil lockdown order for nearly two years, and is prohibited from having a lawyer, from owning any possessions, from freely traveling, from working, etc… The judge redistributed the litigants property to the judge's friends. http://LawInjustice.com/ has details about this disturbing case and some quotes from the judge: THE COURT: "I'm telling you...
“Government ’help’ to business is just as disastrous as government persecution... the only way a government can be of service to national prosperity is by keeping its hands off.” That is what Ayn Rand has to say about government involvement in the world of business, but the full extent of this practice is difficult to nail down. Tad DeHaven of the CATO Institute investigated the situation to determine exactly how deep the problem runs.
- Sunday reflection: Matthew 17:1-9 Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the Day Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- Would-be victim delivering pizza thwarts would-be robbery with her concealed weapon Erika Johnsen 15 hours ago
- The EPA is charging $75,000/day over a private citizen’s pond, but don’t you worry about their revisions to the Clean Water Act Erika Johnsen 17 hours ago
- Christie jacking up tax on e-cigarettes Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago