Is Liberalism Exhausted?

cashe Wrote: Feb 27, 2015 11:25 AM
There is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that America is in fact less conservative than in past decades. 1. Democrats have won the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 elections. 2. A slim majority favors legalizing marijuana according to polls. Three states plus DC have already done it. 3. A WAPO/ABC news poll shows that %55 of Americans support the right of gays to marry. Many states have legalized gay marriage, but often through the courts. I am not seeing much sign of a conservative majority.
Think tanks, radio talk show hosts, and pundits are very fond of making predictions but they virtually never come to pass. They occasionally try to stir up fear about China. I chuckle because I have lived in China for the last five years and I am familiar with both their lack of interest in imperialism as well as the incompetence of their society. Their inability to manufacture quality goods is so complete that now I understand why they had to buy a air craft carrier from Ukraine. China manufactures millions of cars annually and none are fit for export. I bought a very nice aquarium last year and six months later the glass exploded and all my fish ended up dead on my living room floor. The only way to buy quality in China is to buy foreign. What I am saying is that from my reading of history, China has neither the desire nor the means to rival America as the world power. Have we forgotten all the fear mongering about Japan in the 1980's? Where is Japan on the world stage now? China has got so many problems right now what with dozens of empty apartment towers in every city. They say they are going to move 250 million country dwellers into the cities. Jobs for them? Who knows? If they can survive the next 20 years without a meltdown they will be doing well.

Dear World, We’re Sorry

cashe Wrote: Feb 08, 2015 6:32 AM
Typical conservative. Doesn't want anything to ruin the echo chamber.
I do believe in free speech, however, employers have the right to curtail your speech when you are in the work place. Employees are paid to do a job not stir up controversy and insult other workers.

Republicans Surrender to Infanticide

cashe Wrote: Jan 23, 2015 3:08 AM
The pro-life forces seem to be following the same model as the war on drugs. By this I mean that they are focusing their efforts on the providers and are afraid to confront the consumers. We have learned that where there are consumers there will always be providers. Who do they think is getting all these abortions? Normal everyday people, coworkers, even people you meet in church. Honestly, I have no idea how to reach women who are considering abortion. But I feel pretty certain that making abortion difficult to obtain or illegal will not be a solution.

Against Terrorism -- But for What?

cashe Wrote: Jan 23, 2015 2:17 AM
Democracy is a fool's errand in the Middle East. The proof is in the pudding. Islamism has been held at bay only by military strongmen crushing all dissent. We will never stop radical Islam by force. Consider that the Middle East has now sunk to the level of Sub-Saharan Africa is term of economic output. In two or three generations, the people will figure out that this form is Islam is a disaster and be ready to try something new. Let's just contain them until then just as we did the Soviets.

Does Europe Have No-go Zones?

cashe Wrote: Jan 21, 2015 4:46 AM
Oldshort, you are using mindless insults to avoid answer my question. Do you really believe that ambulances will not go to muslim neighborhoods? Doesn't that seem kind of unbelievable?

The Last Taboo

cashe Wrote: Jan 21, 2015 4:36 AM
Nevets, you are not providing any information or even logic to support your position. You are just imagining a future in which you can say I told you so.

The Last Taboo

cashe Wrote: Jan 21, 2015 2:38 AM
I'm sorry, did Mr Shapiro just say 'normalization of incest'? This is the practice that is illegal in all 50 states and has about zero public acceptance. There is nothing normal about incest nor is it being normalized anywhere. In their frenzy to show that gay marriage is a mistake, conservatives insist that the legalization of all sort of strange sexual behavior is inevitably just around the corner. They say that if gay marriage is permitted then all other types of permutations must logically be permitted. Is this really true? Have they thought this through? Consider this. Gay marriage happened because of decades of work done by millions and millions of gay people to secure their rights. The fact that there are so many gay people was critical to them getting this far. Now consider incest, polygamy, pedophilia, and bestiality. These are the sexual practices most often sited by conservatives as being right around the corner. How many public advocates exist for these practices? Some. A few. If you were a congressman, would you see a lobbyist for beastiality or pedophilia? It's rather comical. If, for example, a group of 15 million were clamoring for man-goat sex, some things would probably start happening. If a constituency of 20 million polygamist were demanding that their families be legitimized, they would eventually have their way in time. But let me emphasize, that is not happening. These sexual practices have, in fact, less than a handful of public advocates, no money, and no determination. They don't care about normalize or legalization and neither does anyone else. So why pretend that normalization is imminent?

Does Europe Have No-go Zones?

cashe Wrote: Jan 21, 2015 1:33 AM
Let these insanity continue. Do you have any factual information to prove that ambulances, firetrucks, and unarmed police will not go to these areas? As usual in the conservative press, rumor is taken as fact.