For those who are not well-versed in the language of sociology, ethnocentrism refers to the tendency to judge other cultures by the standards of one’s own culture. Since this is a natural human tendency, the task of fostering anti-ethnocentrism is difficult, to say the least. But it is also self-defeating....
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! American patriotism is different from most other forms of "patriotism." Others hold loyalty to a king, or to a party, or to an ethic group, or to a terrestrial region. WE hold loyalty to an ideal. I've had several arguments, recently, with leftists who find it odd that I, who claim to be a patriot, can oppose our "great leader." They truly believe that patriotism means blind obedience to our rulers. There are now as many of them as there are of us. And they follow their rulers as a matter of faith, not of intellect... meaning they can't be argued with. It's truly frightening.
Ethnocentrism is under-rated. Most college students are exposed to the concept only if they take a course in Introductory Sociology or if they should chose to major in sociology. Even then, the concept of ethnocentrism is presented as an evil to be extinguished by fostering the value of anti-ethnocentrism.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 59 minutes ago
- Advice to campaigning Democrats: Maybe avoid mentioning the term economic “recovery” Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Western states debate retaking control of federal lands Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- Reflecting on Kelo nine years later Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Video: Obama signs bill blocking Iranian UN envoy from entry Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- MSNBC host debates Michele Fiore on Bundy ranch. Does not fare well. Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago