It baffles me how such supposedly learned men as the Popes continue to push for socialism, when even a cursory study of recent history reveals that previous attempts to do the same have resulted in starvation, stagnation, and hopelessness for tens of millions. Free market capitalism, the Pope's so-called "trickle down theory", has lifted more people out of poverty and given more people hope than all socialistic schemes put together. If socialism is allowed to proceed far enough, a subdued, underachieving, miserable population is actually a best-case scenario. The twentieth century has shown us how much worse than that it can get. I am a Catholic, but I cannot get behind the Church on many of these issues, because the Church's leaders tend to be so pigheadedly wrong about them. They're still on the right side of the fence on abortion, gay so-called marriage, and euthanasia. But on big-government socialism, welfare, and amnesty, the Church is way too far to the left, which is probably why so many Catholics violated their consciences to vote (twice) for one of history's biggest abortion champions.
- White House giving up fight over Obamacare’s contraception mandate? Noah Rothman 34 minutes ago
- Kerry arrives in Israel for cease-fire talks Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Sally Kohn: How can Israel supporters argue the IDF’s violence is justified, but Hamas’ isn’t? Guy Benson 11 hours ago
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 12 hours ago