Governor Romney gave his new running mate a very warm introduction this morning, detailing elements of Ryan's middle class, Catholic, Midwestern biography and praising the 42-year-old's serious solutions for fixing America's entrenched problems. Anticipating mendacious Left-wing attacks on Paul Ryan's bipartisan Medicare reform for future seniors, Romney emphasized that President Obama has slashed more than half-a-trillion from the program (to fund a new and unpopular entitlement program), and that the Republican plan is geared toward saving and preserving Medicare and Social Security. Expect to hear this theme a lot. Ryan echoed it during his speech, telling the audience that...
"If smart, competent, and articulate guys like Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan can't sell fiscal sanity in times like these, we may be doomed anyway." This is a good point. A generation ago, Romney/Ryan would trounce Obama/Biden in a fair election in America. Now, it's a different landscape. Now, there are many more voters who desire big government, and its kickbacks and handouts. There are also perhaps fewer who believe in limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty. That is why this election is so close. Perhaps we are no longer the majority, in which case America, as Benson says, is doomed. But, I'm cautiously optimistic that America will vote to save the republic in November.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014