Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
Sean Hannity had a terrific program on the other night, Monday, I think, with a black live audience of successful individuals, including Dr. Carson. The primary thing I came away with from watching and listening is that the true information about history and current events is not getting out to the black communities. This is the fault of the Republicans, black and white, because all the info here from Elder should be publicized everywhere and often and people need to go neighborhoods and talk with people honestly and listen to them. The other thing I took away from this show is the fact that black dems on black conservative racism is alive and flourishing, and I admire the courage of these individuals in speaking out as they did.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Flight 370 dropped to 5,000 feet to evade radar Ed Morrissey 38 minutes ago
- Crimea declares independence, applies for Russian reunion Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Erika Johnsen 13 hours ago
- Venezuela to US: You should probably come participate in a “peace commission” on all this violence you’ve caused Erika Johnsen 14 hours ago
- The most dangerous wedding photo evah? Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago
- Exit polls show Crimea annexation wins 93% of vote while under Russian occupation Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago