Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
Sean Hannity had a terrific program on the other night, Monday, I think, with a black live audience of successful individuals, including Dr. Carson. The primary thing I came away with from watching and listening is that the true information about history and current events is not getting out to the black communities. This is the fault of the Republicans, black and white, because all the info here from Elder should be publicized everywhere and often and people need to go neighborhoods and talk with people honestly and listen to them. The other thing I took away from this show is the fact that black dems on black conservative racism is alive and flourishing, and I admire the courage of these individuals in speaking out as they did.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- NYT: On second thought, Bush did pull together a coalition on Iraq Ed Morrissey 11 mins ago
- U.S. had Assad’s cooperation during strikes on targets in Syria Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- Open thread: War president to address nation after targeting ISIS, Khorasan in Syria Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Yemen’s capital under near total control of Shiite rebels following bloody offensive Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- US hits Khorasan group in air strikes on Syria Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago