Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
Sean Hannity had a terrific program on the other night, Monday, I think, with a black live audience of successful individuals, including Dr. Carson. The primary thing I came away with from watching and listening is that the true information about history and current events is not getting out to the black communities. This is the fault of the Republicans, black and white, because all the info here from Elder should be publicized everywhere and often and people need to go neighborhoods and talk with people honestly and listen to them. The other thing I took away from this show is the fact that black dems on black conservative racism is alive and flourishing, and I admire the courage of these individuals in speaking out as they did.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Israel shoots down Hamas drone as escalation continues Ed Morrissey 54 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 17 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 18 hours ago