The Problem with Romney Nostalgia

carole28 Wrote: Jan 14, 2015 1:53 PM
I agree, and with all the BS put out by Gruber, it would still be a big issue should he run again. In fact, I don't understand why anyone who ran the last time would consider running again. They lost for good reasons. Further, as I've said in previous comments, even those who didn't run last time have problems. Jeb supports amnesty and Common Core, and we don't need a dynasty. Cruz is great when tearing apart this administration and the dems, but he's too controversial, too much "fire in the belly" to run this time. Paul is extraordinarily weak on foreign policy, and I don't picture him with any "fire in the belly." Santorum is too sanctimonious to appeal to enough voters. I just picture him lecturing me on this or that, and I cringe. Huckabee is another like Santorum who ust doesn't appeal, although I did enjoy some of his openings on his show. I like Carson, but his background, while admirable, is not broad enough for the world today. We all know how inexperience has worked this time, not that I would put him in the same category. I really like him, but would rather see him cleaning out HHS. I want to see somebody who loves this country, who wants to see us back on top, who cares about doing the job right and effectively and knows enough not to bring in inexperienced advisers who think they know it all, like Jarrett. So far, Walker is the only one I see in this light.

The Problem with Romney Nostalgia

carole28 Wrote: Jan 14, 2015 1:15 PM
I continue to support Walker. Maybe, as Cartwright says, he and the others mentioned couldn't have won in 2012, but I wouldn't put race as the reason for O's re-election. I would lay Romney's loss at the feet of his advisers and himself. He should have gone harder after O, just as he did in the first debate. He shouldn't have backed down on Benghazi or let Crowley get away with inserting her chubby self into the debate. I voted for Romney because the choice had been made for me since I would have had to have been doped up, hog-tied, beaten, half-dead and totally loopy to vote for O. But I still don't like Romney for prez. He is an honorable man whom I admire, but I don't think he, Jeb, Christie, Hill, Cruz, Paul, Santorum, Huckabee, Carson, or a number of others are prez material at this time. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone really cares what I or anyone else thinks. The GOP elite will choose the final candidate and screw us up as usual.
I strongly support women who are in politics, Republican women. However, this woman would not earn my support. First, I've seen her on various shows, and her discussions and opinions are not impressive. Also, based on what I've seen on those shows and what I've read here, she doesn't seem to have a strong opinion or idea other than leadership is important. Duh! Great insight. Besides being CEO at HP, what else has she done? Running a company is not the greatest prep for the job of running the country. I'm with king10 -- No, please no, Carly.
The comment about placating Hispanic voters becoming a difficult issue for a prez nominee bothers me. Instead of worrying about the next election and who will or will not be offended by actually doing their jobs, reps and senators should be thinkiing about what's best to get this country back on track. I know it's impossible to believe that we should expect our reps and senators to do their jobs, but kowtowing to one group or another is not a good plan. Do what's right for the country, and if the country improves (which I certainly hope it will), then anyone with a brain will be supportive. Of course I also realize that "anyone with a brain" eliminates liberals.

Why is Jeb Bush smiling?

carole28 Wrote: Jan 07, 2015 1:55 PM
I support your Walker note. However, as much as I like Cruz and enjoy when he goes after the dems and RINOs, I don't think he would be effective on the ticket. However, Martinez might be a good choice for all the obvious reasons.

Why is Jeb Bush smiling?

carole28 Wrote: Jan 07, 2015 12:38 PM
I'm already sick of Jeb. He should not be in the race, but then I'm just one lowly voter of "We, the people," and not a member of the GOP establishment who seem to believe, just like the demoncrats, that they know better than we do who should run this country. Yes, we should all coalesce around person we believe could begin the long journey to bring this country back to its greatness. For now, I'm sticking with Walker, although I will consider Pence and Jindal. I want someone in the White House who actually listens to the voters, as I believe the men I've mentioned have. Jeb pays no attention to the strong message voters sent in November and no attention to the fact that we don't want amnesty and we don't want Common Core. We also don't want a bunch of dolts standing on the stage for debates which work better than Ambien at putting us to sleep. We want someone who, above all, loves this country and who has the experience in actual governing against the dem tide. I know people will say Jeb has experience in FL, but ..... puhleeze! NO dynasties or reruns either!
Please no! Huckabee is a good man, but what is it that goes through the minds of these reruns that makes them think they should try again? I don't want to hear of any of them running again. I would think that losing once would be enough.
I like your list and comments. Walker is still my number one choice but I could live with Kasich, Pence, Jindal. Martinez would be good for VP, but I don't think there is enough knowledge of her country-wide for her to go for prez. I didn't look at the author of this article until I read a couple of entries, and when I did, I realized that the comments are obviously liberal. I don't even understand why Bush (no dynasties!), Christie (not the person who gave O a photo op just before the 2012 election), Paul (too far out), Carson (no real experience -- great guy though, perhaps to run HHS), Cruz (not yet -- fight in the Senate), Rubio (immigration problems), Huckabee (seriously?), Santorum (too sanctimonious), Ryan (after serving on the immigration committee? Seriously?), Perry (not thrilled with him and wasn't last time either), Fiorina (NO WAY!) are all even being considered. Unfortunately, all these people will probably waste our time in debates.

Jeb Bush's Immigration Problem

carole28 Wrote: Jan 03, 2015 3:45 PM
I realize that Walker said he would support finding a pathway to citizenship, but he is not in favor of amnesty. I still think the important thing is to get our country back on the right track and then addressing the illegals. With over 11 million here now, we can't simply continue to ignore them. However, the first thing any prez should do is secure our borders and make sure that they stay secure. Then once things are going well, we should address the illegal situation because there are so many of them. I've heard some good ideas about using green cards. But whatever is done shouldn't be done unilaterally as the current bozo has done.

Jeb Bush's Immigration Problem

carole28 Wrote: Jan 03, 2015 2:26 PM
First of all, we don't need another Bush, nor another Clinton -- NO dynasties. There are some really good governors, people outside of DC, who have great accomplishments in their states. We also don't need Christie who provided O with a great picture just in time for the 2012 election. I'm still a great supporter of Walker, but I also like Pence, Kasich, and Jindal. These people have shown that they have the ability and the smarts to run states and do so effectively. The GOP as a whole really has to start thinking about what people actually want instead of what they want. We, the people, made our feelings pretty clear in November, and we did not vote for amnesty/immigration. Let's get our country back on the right track for our legal citizens before tackling the problem with those who are here illegally.

Random Thoughts

carole28 Wrote: Dec 30, 2014 3:50 PM
Dr. Sowell, Another wonderful column with excellent and timely insights. I just wish that you were our president or an advisor of our president, one to whom he actually listens. You understand him, the press, and the idiots who voted for this charlatan perfectly. God bless you and have a healthy and happy New Year! Carole