In an interview with NPR, Whole Foods CEO John Mackey drew a lot of attention—and criticism—by comparing ObamaCare to “fascism.” He said, "Socialism is where the government owns the means of production. In fascism, the government doesn’t own the means of production, but they do control it—and that’s what’s happening with our health care programs and these reforms.” Now, he’s walking back the controversial statement even though his feelings about the health care law haven’t changed. On CBS This Morning, Mackey said it was “a bad choice of words” because it has an association with dictatorships in the 20th century....
In response to:
The word "socialism" would be have been the most appropriate.
- Luis Gutierrez: I have a duty to protect America, which is why I can’t support a border security bill Allahpundit 10 mins ago
- Iowa’s Joni Ernst isn’t out yet: New poll shows her with a majority support Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- Gates: No “hope of success” against ISIS without boots on the ground Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition; Update: “Poor choice of words” Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- CBS/NYT poll shows Obama at new low on terrorism, foreign policy Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago