Winthrop's directive provided inspiration and caution to those creating a new community; ensuring success would require...
Your column is on target and it really puts the responsibility for keeping the "City shining up on the Hill" on us citizens. When a person like Obama can be elected our "Shining city is dire danger. He has done nothing but sell snake oil that poisons the greatest country the world has ever known. Redistributing the wealth and pitting groups against one another is not what Winthrop or Reagan professed. Thank you for reminding us about our history. Your book, The Essential American, should be required reading in every high school classroom in America.
John Winthrop, the first governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, crossed the ocean from England to New England aboard the Arabella in early 1630. While aboard, he penned a directive that he read to those traveling with him either while they were still on board the ship or shortly after they had disembarked that June in Salem. Most of them were Puritans, who were leaving England for religious freedom as well as to start afresh in a New World, as directed by God.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014