Winthrop's directive provided inspiration and caution to those creating a new community; ensuring success would require...
Your column is on target and it really puts the responsibility for keeping the "City shining up on the Hill" on us citizens. When a person like Obama can be elected our "Shining city is dire danger. He has done nothing but sell snake oil that poisons the greatest country the world has ever known. Redistributing the wealth and pitting groups against one another is not what Winthrop or Reagan professed. Thank you for reminding us about our history. Your book, The Essential American, should be required reading in every high school classroom in America.
John Winthrop, the first governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, crossed the ocean from England to New England aboard the Arabella in early 1630. While aboard, he penned a directive that he read to those traveling with him either while they were still on board the ship or shortly after they had disembarked that June in Salem. Most of them were Puritans, who were leaving England for religious freedom as well as to start afresh in a New World, as directed by God.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 9 hours ago