Winthrop's directive provided inspiration and caution to those creating a new community; ensuring success would require...
Your column is on target and it really puts the responsibility for keeping the "City shining up on the Hill" on us citizens. When a person like Obama can be elected our "Shining city is dire danger. He has done nothing but sell snake oil that poisons the greatest country the world has ever known. Redistributing the wealth and pitting groups against one another is not what Winthrop or Reagan professed. Thank you for reminding us about our history. Your book, The Essential American, should be required reading in every high school classroom in America.
John Winthrop, the first governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, crossed the ocean from England to New England aboard the Arabella in early 1630. While aboard, he penned a directive that he read to those traveling with him either while they were still on board the ship or shortly after they had disembarked that June in Salem. Most of them were Puritans, who were leaving England for religious freedom as well as to start afresh in a New World, as directed by God.
- Bloomberg to spend $50 million to “outmuscle” the NRA Ed Morrissey 59 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: Happy (The Remy Tax Day Edition) Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Should Mike Anderson III go free? Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Krauthammer: Can we all remember that we have added $7 trillion to the debt in 5 years, please? Erika Johnsen 12 hours ago
- State legislators: Hey, you know what we really need right now? More federal land! Erika Johnsen 13 hours ago