An open letter from California to the people of Jefferson, North Carolina; For most of you, running through your veins is the blood of highlander forefathers and their fierce independent spirit. Your ancestors refused to submit and accept the comfortable life as a Roman …becoming one of few groups the legions couldn’t conquer. Across northern England, Hadrian’s Wall was erected as testament to the fear Roman Emperors had for Scotsmen. Unable to get your kind to cooperate, English Kings relocated your Scottish kin from Britain to Ireland and eventually, our nation was blessed with your arrival from Ulster. Uncomfortable with comfort, your forefathers headed ‘over the mountain’ into Indian territory in search of a place to call...
On Nov. 29, 1766, Benjamin Franklin wrote for the London Chronicle: "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. -- I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Sigh: Busch Gardens removes disembodied heads from Halloween display Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Holder running out the clock on Fast & Furious? Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Surge: Walker regains the lead in Wisconsin Guy Benson 6 hours ago
- Gallup: Americans trust in the media matches historic low Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Obama’s administration at war with itself over ISIS strategy Noah Rothman 7 hours ago