An open letter from California to the people of Jefferson, North Carolina; For most of you, running through your veins is the blood of highlander forefathers and their fierce independent spirit. Your ancestors refused to submit and accept the comfortable life as a Roman …becoming one of few groups the legions couldn’t conquer. Across northern England, Hadrian’s Wall was erected as testament to the fear Roman Emperors had for Scotsmen. Unable to get your kind to cooperate, English Kings relocated your Scottish kin from Britain to Ireland and eventually, our nation was blessed with your arrival from Ulster. Uncomfortable with comfort, your forefathers headed ‘over the mountain’ into Indian territory in search of a place to call...
On Nov. 29, 1766, Benjamin Franklin wrote for the London Chronicle: "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. -- I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did...
- Video: Small-business employees locked out of Covered California health care Ed Morrissey 31 minutes ago
- Russian FM after meeting with Kerry: Russia has no “common vision” on Crimea with the west Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- The Ed Morrissey Show: Duane “Generalissimo” Patterson Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Soon, you might be able to carry a gun just about anywhere in Georgia Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Kerry retreats on recognition of Israel as a Jewish state Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Brown ramping up Senate run in New Hampshire: AP Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago