An open letter from California to the people of Jefferson, North Carolina; For most of you, running through your veins is the blood of highlander forefathers and their fierce independent spirit. Your ancestors refused to submit and accept the comfortable life as a Roman …becoming one of few groups the legions couldn’t conquer. Across northern England, Hadrian’s Wall was erected as testament to the fear Roman Emperors had for Scotsmen. Unable to get your kind to cooperate, English Kings relocated your Scottish kin from Britain to Ireland and eventually, our nation was blessed with your arrival from Ulster. Uncomfortable with comfort, your forefathers headed ‘over the mountain’ into Indian territory in search of a place to call...
On Nov. 29, 1766, Benjamin Franklin wrote for the London Chronicle: "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. -- I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did...
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 39 minutes ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 15 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 19 hours ago