How To Stop Being Poor

ca7 Wrote: Nov 11, 2014 3:14 PM
No, it's "you didn't build that all by yourself". I'm sure he is paying them back with his taxes now, as am I. Publicly funded higher education generally does provide a great return on investment, both for the individual and the country. So, let's say a college student working hard to get a degree (as Hawkin's undoubtedly did) doesn't have enough money to pay for food while working towards this degree. Is it better for this kid to go without food while going to school? Take a second or third part time job in order to eat while having less time to focus on school? Take the assistance offered by food stamps in order to bridge the gap before getting a better paying job that makes the person more self-sufficient and gives back in terms of a tax paying adult? It seems to me that the student has a better chance at future success by taking that assistance (ie government handout). In fact, it more often than not will provide a great return on the investment, at least in those cases. All that said, there is much that I agree with in this column, especially Williams' quote.

How To Stop Being Poor

ca7 Wrote: Nov 11, 2014 1:52 PM
"My father taught me to save my money, to never be ashamed of any honest job and avoid government handouts like the plague." Says the guy that went to public school in North Carolina and then the publicly funded University of North Carolina. You think you're parents' taxes and tuition covered the full cost? Not a chance. Others helped pay for that.
"In Utah, Mia Love became the first black Republican woman elected to Congress." It only took the Republicans 45 years longer than the Democrats to elect an African American woman to the House.
I would have been happy to see Edwards go to jail. He went to trial and was acquitted by a jury. Do you understand how that works? As for D'Souza being treated fairly and equitably, he also had the option of going to trial and would have possibly been acquitted. He chose not to do that and admitted his guilt. Knowing that, are you surprised he was then actually sentenced?

USPS: Where The Customer Is Always Last

ca7 Wrote: Sep 22, 2014 2:50 PM
I absolutely agree with everything you say. I, however, live in large city and also receive mostly good service at our local post office. And, yes, they do deserve lunch breaks as much as the author of this column deserves one. I'm glad you pointed that out.

USPS: Where The Customer Is Always Last

ca7 Wrote: Sep 22, 2014 2:08 PM
Can you get bad service at a post office? Sure. You can get terrible service at McDonalds and Walmart, too. I don't go to the post office very often but 9 out of 10 times it's a fairly pleasant experience with cordial and efficient service. My mailman is also very nice and almost always arrives within a 1 hour window of time. It sounds like Katie is one of those people that goes into an interaction expecting to be disappointed and then just focuses on the negative. As for Katie's desire for a "Yelp" for post office experiences, she might want to try using Yelp. (note to Katie: try researching before you write your columns) As for the USPS in general, I don't have any particular loyalty to them and it's probably time for it to go out of business. It is amazing, however, that we can still send a physical letter across the country in 2-3 days for under 50 cents. I personally just don't have much need for that service anymore.

Quit Defending Abuse

ca7 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 5:21 PM
Try reading the column before commenting.

Quit Defending Abuse

ca7 Wrote: Sep 19, 2014 5:19 PM
" I got the switch treatment, too, and lived to tell the story." So if you live to tell the story it's ok? I was molested by a relative as a child and lived to tell the story. I guess that is ok to then since I lived through it. Did you even see the pictures of the abuse in this case?
According to Govtrack.us, over their entire careers in Congress, the other Alaska Senator, Lisa Murkowski (R), actually missed more votes (4.7%) than Begich (4.5%).

Marijuana vs. Scotch and a Low IQ

ca7 Wrote: Aug 21, 2014 6:01 PM
"One takes it in a brownie or cookie for an even more immediate effect" This is just wrong. It takes longer for the effect when eating pot.
Did I say 10 years is appropriate? Try reading.