The Cannabis Is out of the Bag

buster33 Wrote: May 08, 2013 4:03 PM
"Brightest bulb in the chandelier." I'm stealing that one! Maybe "biggest seed in the bud?"

What Bubble?

buster33 Wrote: May 07, 2013 10:37 AM
Using current P/E's stocks are not overvalued unless the economy is about to tank. (This is admittedly a possibility as the country faces fiscal reckoning.) Based on the "P/E" 10, the market does look frothy. Are the "E's" unsustainable?
I require my own students to communicate how they benefit from others' efforts to earn a profit. It is too bad so many people demonize the profit motive and praise behavior supposedly done in the name of the common good. Intentions are not results. So many government efforts have results the opposite of those intended. Professor Adams's comments remind me of Adam Smith's observations.

University Apologizes for Stomping Jesus

buster33 Wrote: Mar 23, 2013 9:23 AM
I wonder if these free speech provocateurs would be so consistent as to allow students to do the same with the Koran,

On Balance, Was the Iraq War Worth It?

buster33 Wrote: Mar 21, 2013 12:08 PM
It was not worth it. Yep, we got Saddam. At what expense? Will Iraq revert to being an oppressive Islamic state with different oppressors? Yes. With the epidemic of soldiers claiming PTSD, will the human cost and the monetary costs be absurdly high? Yes. Have we learned anything about trying to impose democracy on people who don't want it? Probably not. Although I supported the war at the time, it was a huge mistake. We could have gotten Saddam at a much lower cost.
I support a minimum of $500 an hour. Everyone will then be in the top 1%, we can tax everyone more heavily and the budget deficit will disappear. If you oppose this, you are mean-spirited and don't care about social justice.

Detroit's Decline

buster33 Wrote: Mar 14, 2013 9:40 AM
It is with all seriousness I ask that someone point to a municipality where the majority of children grow up withouth the positive influence of a father where things have turned out well, Just one! Expecting prosperity and a decline in dysfunctionality without addressing the cause is off the Dumbometer. The Dem concept of subsidizing out-of-wedlock births has slowly shackled communities where young people took the easy bait.
After reading this, I am more convinced Colorado and Washington have done the right thing. To focus on only the potential costs is weak reasoning. What about the costs of pot being illegal? We ruin the lives of people who were simply in possession of marijuana. How does a stoner walking down the street seriously pose a threat to me? Driving? Fine, arrest him as we do with alcohol. The overwhelming majority of pot users I grew up with became very productive, otherwise law-abiding citizens. I readily concede people can become unproductive from smoking too much pot. People can and do become unproductive from eating too much. (See "SSI Disability skyrockets.") Govt. shouldn't control my retirement, etc.and choices that impact me.

Minimum Wage, Maximum Foolishness

buster33 Wrote: Mar 08, 2013 7:29 AM
Unless the money comes from aliens this is flawed reasoning. Was no person spending the same money before it went to some workers, those who keep their jobs, in the form of a higher wage? If the money went to priofits instead it gets reinvested by the company, i.e. spent, or to investors as dividends and subsequentlty spent. If the spending expands thesis were true, we should make it $200 an hour. Last night a ftiend asserted the government should fire up the printing presses and that he'd use the $ to pay off his house. The refrain from the South Park episode on the Mormons comes to mind..

Moderate Muslim: Not an Oxymoron

buster33 Wrote: Mar 07, 2013 10:42 AM
"Beheadingly wrong." I'm usin' that one!

Moderate Muslim: Not an Oxymoron

buster33 Wrote: Mar 07, 2013 10:40 AM
Politicians launching campaigns against ...the wearing of too-modest clothing? What a way to put it! And abortion is "health care!" Maybe asking people to show their faces--GASP!--for a license photo is the latest government outrage ranking right there with the internment of the Japanese. Maybe not.