Passover is primarily a holiday of the home, not the synagogue. The preparations take days. We sit down to a table adorned with familiar objects: a silver cup for the Prophet Elijah, candle sticks, a lamb shank representing the sacrifice in Temple days, bitter herbs, matzah, parsley, eggs and salt water. We do the traditional "seder" -- its choreographed rituals burnished by centuries of practice. Everything is...
It is poor reasoning to think that this commission was based on merit, rather than the sovereign choice of the One who did the committing. That kind of vanity is what led to the exile in Babylon, amongst other results.
This week, together with about 13 million Jews worldwide (yes, that's all there are), our family will celebrate the Feast of Passover -- perhaps the oldest continuously celebrated religious holiday in the world.
- Washington, Europe getting serious about Russia sanctions over Crimea? Ed Morrissey 34 minutes ago
- Scarborough: FL-13 upset shows 2014 will be “historic” Dem loss Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- NBC/WSJ poll shows Obama approval at new low of 41% Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- GAO to audit Oregon’s failed ObamaCare exchange site Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago