Consider the disconnects: California's combined income and sales taxes are among the nation's highest, but the state's deficit is still about $16 billion. It's estimated that more than 2,000 upper-income Californians are leaving per week to flee high taxes and costly regulations, yet California wants to raise taxes even higher; its business climate already ranks near the bottom of most surveys. Its teachers are among the highest paid on average in the nation, but its public school students consistently test near the bottom...
Driving across California is like going from Mississippi to Massachusetts without ever crossing a state line.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Video: Happy (The Remy Tax Day Edition) Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Should Mike Anderson III go free? Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Krauthammer: Can we all remember that we have added $7 trillion to the debt in 5 years, please? Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago
- State legislators: Hey, you know what we really need right now? More federal land! Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- CBO: ObamaCare premiums and healthcare spending will rise by less than expected, because… Erika Johnsen 9 hours ago