Consider the disconnects: California's combined income and sales taxes are among the nation's highest, but the state's deficit is still about $16 billion. It's estimated that more than 2,000 upper-income Californians are leaving per week to flee high taxes and costly regulations, yet California wants to raise taxes even higher; its business climate already ranks near the bottom of most surveys. Its teachers are among the highest paid on average in the nation, but its public school students consistently test near the bottom...
Not all blue coast states are dysfunctional. Washington state where I live is rather blue but not run by crazies. My impression is that Massachusetts, while being deep blue, is fairly well run, e.g. it has a good K-12 education system. Liberal versus conservative is less important than competent versus incompetent. California is run by Democratic idiots. The fact that they are Democrats is far less germane than the fact that they are idiots.
Driving across California is like going from Mississippi to Massachusetts without ever crossing a state line.
- Rand Paul working to get David Jolly over the finish line in FL-13 special Jazz Shaw 4 minutes ago
- CPAC: Daniel Hannan and the origins of liberty Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Quote of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- Big Labor: ObamaCare is making income inequality worse, you know Erika Johnsen 16 hours ago
- Reading 2.0: There’s an app for that Jazz Shaw 17 hours ago