Free stuff is always better than working for it and having a scapegoat make it impossible for me consider that I am the problem. Wouldn't count on any change for the majority of the black vote. Have a funny feeling there will be more racial riots in the near term to get the vote out. -- it is truly sad!

ObamaCare for Dummies

Bob319 Wrote: Oct 11, 2014 7:50 AM
I think I'll pass on the book. Your teaser only talks on the insurance side. Obamacare is not related to healthcare it is related to who pays for the healthcare. Socialize anything and it isn't long before it goes bad. And as for the 107K that got the god send of insurance. Ocare was sold because of the uninsured, some say, was 6 million. Let's see 107K divided by 6 million yields a batting average of 0178. talk about a JV response.

Let's Repeal Reality

Bob319 Wrote: Oct 10, 2014 12:01 PM
I'm going for death neutral!

Hunger Growls in Egypt

Bob319 Wrote: Oct 08, 2014 6:59 AM
While all the problems cited are real the biggest one is the need to import the bulk of their food. I recently saw a map that showed the majority of middle east countries import most of their food. Importing anything means you have to pay for it which means you have to produce something, those with oil probably can make it but with the ISIS mess a whole lot of people are going hungry, and it isn't going to turn out nice.
EMR's are the result of crony capitalism and it is only going to get worst. I'm sure I am not the only one that has observed: - whenever I go to a doctor now - they spend more time entering data than talking to me - I get stupid reminders (required by the EMR) about stuff that I just talked to the doc about - every time I see a new doctor in a different practice I have to enter all the same data again - each practice has their own EMR and they don't share - I recently had to get a CPAP machine (medical device) were I have to believe the paperwork and electronics to ensure compliance to Medicare standards have to costs more than the device. The standard statement is that EMR are good and it will make the system better and they keep saying it over and over with little or no proof of why it is good and better, but it sure costs a lot and someone is making money. Kinda like saying diversity is good with little or no proof. Liberals drive me nuts!
If your definition of real world is democrate voters then it is working pretty well. They are either getting additional welfare or are the rich elite. The folks in the middle really aren't part of his world!

Newer New Math

Bob319 Wrote: Oct 03, 2014 8:04 AM
One of the interesting things is that we are final back to medieval times. In medieval times there use to be leading universities that were good at adding/subtraction and others that were good at multiply/dividing. What was taught are all these little tricks one can use to solve different problems. The KEY difference was that these were much more mature students learning than 3rd graders. They knew 'granny' method then but learning the tricks made them much more valuable (remember no computers then). You can only appreciate the tricks once you have a firm basis, but you don't teach the tricks and assume that you will develop a firm basis. We have gone back 400 years!

God, Woman and Free Speech at Yale

Bob319 Wrote: Oct 03, 2014 7:51 AM
I'm not waiting for the Muslim student at Yale to start asking questions or start learning about the dark side of their religion. Another example of a group playing the victim card and getting away with it. I hope the new president of Yale will continue to have a backbone but given the ivy league record he will have do it again and again. Few people have faith in the elite universities.

The Culture of Passing the Buck

Bob319 Wrote: Oct 02, 2014 8:55 AM
Before I retired I worked 20 odd years for a private company. Hard work, risk taking, creative thinking, team spirit were all rewarded. I then transfer to a company whose only customer was the government. It was a hard transition. The only thing that was rewarded was don't screw up and embarrass the boss. Without a profit motive the culture soon turned to the whims of the current boss. The really scary part the culture changed with the boss, which was frequent. I can see how this would happen with the secret service. Remember Pierson was put in to paper over the prostitution scandal, not to beef up security.

Bomb or Occupy -- or Neither?

Bob319 Wrote: Oct 02, 2014 8:38 AM
We visited the Balkans recently and talked to many. While there were a few that wanted to fight the last war many more were just relieve that they didn't have to worry about hating the other guy any more because of NATO presents. My gut feeling is that in many of these poorer countries it is easy for someone to be a leader because he continues to stroke the flames of past injustices. When a good occupier, like the US or NATO, is there for a generation or so you see different types of leaders arise. Hansen is correct - If you aren't in for the long haul - don't go in the first place.