Yesterday evening we reported the details of House Republicans' "fiscal cliff" compromise offer to the White House, which offered real ideological concessions, to the tune of $800 Billion in new revenues. The plan -- originally conceived last year by the Democratic co-chairman of the debt commission, Erskine Bowles -- also calls for the reduction of both discretionary and mandatory spending, making needed (albeit small-ball) reforms to the largest drivers of our debt. Unlike the president's risible, widely-panned proposal last week, Republicans' new negotiating posture offers genuine compromise: (a) It has bipartisan origins, (b) it achieves "balance," (c) it...
In response to:
You Republicans like to pass out the cake and ice cream but will whine when it comes to taking the medicine. You Republicans mandated $4 billion a year in ethanol subsidies alone, as well as drastically increased cotton, sugar, soybean, corn, wheat handouts, billed to the national credit card. You Republicans doubled the size of the Department of Education, billed to the national credit card. You Republicans started new government programs, like Faith Based Initiatives, and then prattle on about how you want small government.
- NYC doctor who recently treated Ebola patients rushed to hospital with 103-degree fever Allahpundit 22 mins ago
- Revealed: ICE released some illegals charged with violent crimes — after telling Americans they hadn’t Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Latest viral video: Priests doing a dance-off in the Vatican* Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Arbiter orders NFL commissioner to testify in hearing on Rice appeal Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, John-Henry Westen, Jason Mattera Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- “Machete-wielding mob” hinders Ebola relief effort Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago