Yesterday evening we reported the details of House Republicans' "fiscal cliff" compromise offer to the White House, which offered real ideological concessions, to the tune of $800 Billion in new revenues. The plan -- originally conceived last year by the Democratic co-chairman of the debt commission, Erskine Bowles -- also calls for the reduction of both discretionary and mandatory spending, making needed (albeit small-ball) reforms to the largest drivers of our debt. Unlike the president's risible, widely-panned proposal last week, Republicans' new negotiating posture offers genuine compromise: (a) It has bipartisan origins, (b) it achieves "balance," (c) it...
In response to:
Republicans pretend to be for 'small' government, but are for HUGE government. Republicans pretend to be for 'free' markets, but are really for rigged markets. Republicans say they are for 'taking responsibility', but their method of accepting responsibility is to always blame the most convenient Democrat for all the messes they created. Republicans always vigorously wave the American flag but, in fact, their actions put our beloved country last. Cherish the tax cut! Did the Greatest generation have tax cuts and Tea Parties during WWII when we were facing real Fascists? Let's face it, when a Republicans tells you that he or she is in favor of 'small government and free markets,' aren't both of these lies?
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014