What the GOP strategists have forgotten is that elections are won as much on image as they are on issues. So on the Fourth of July holiday, Barack Obama entertained military personnel at the White House and then hit the road on a tour of critical...
This is 1980 all over again. In 1980 as today, the Democrats said: "GIVE US THAT DUMB ACTOR RONALD REAGAN. HE'LL BE EASIER FOR US TO BEAT THAN BUSH." (The Bush in question at the time wasn't George W. Bush, but his father, George H.W. Bush), who was running for President in a crowded field that included: John Anderson, (who later ran for President as an independent), Howard Baker, (who became Senate Majority Leader), John Connolly, Phil Crane, and Ronald Reagan. Romney will get his act together. In June 1980, there was a Gallup poll which had Carter at 39%, Reagan at 32%, and Anderson at 21%. What's changed since 1980? Nothing and everything. Be careful of what you wish for. You just might get it. Ancient Chinese proverb.
Oh, yes, I have seen Republican presidential campaigns ... far too many. Make no mistake, in my judgment, Mitt Romney has everything it takes to be a great president. Unfortunately, my job is to provide realistic analysis about elections. And right now, I can literally see this race ending up as another huge Republican catastrophe.
- Bombshell: Mark Pryor called desegregation of schools a ‘figurative’ invasion Noah Rothman 16 mins ago
- Homeland Security announces new travel restrictions on Ebola countries that, er, aren’t so new Allahpundit 57 mins ago
- TEMS Tuesday: Andrew Malcolm and the big return Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Monica Lewinsky: I was patient zero in Internet bullying Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Liberals warn vulnerable Dems that they should rethink distancing themselves from Obama Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- 10 yr old competitive shooter seeks to inspire others Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago