First, the weather -- anyone who has ever lived in Florida knows that the ultimate paths of tropical storms and hurricanes are impossible to predict. When in law school in Florida, I sat through days of a hurricane that just parked itself in the Gulf, close...
I remember the first time I spoke. It wasn't a political convention. It was a high school graduation. More specifically, MY HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION! It was June 14, 1980, and I was one of 167 other high school graduates in green caps and gowns. I confessed to my English teacher, Mr. Quimby, that I was nervous. He told me not to worry about it. I also remembered Mike Brady's advice to Greg, Marcia, and Peter, "Imagine your audience in its underwear." Corny? Yes, but it worked. My mother and grandmother were more nervous than I was. They had a gallon of Pepto- Bismol. (Exaggeration? Yes). I summed up the speakers who came before me. I hit it out of the park too.
Halfway through the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., one thing was obvious. Despite great planning and perfect execution by the head of the committee responsible for day-to-day operations of the event, longtime RNC committeeman Alec Poitevint, the Tampa event was a burden to pull off. Here is the real story behind the 2012 convention.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 18 hours ago