Most of us today think of Harlem as a black community, but it was not that for most of its 400-year history. John James Audubon, famed for his studies of birds, was...
I ask everyone to vote for this online poll of the 2012 election thanks and be honest. http://poll.pollcode.com/bdwc
Books about the history of Harlem have long fascinated me -- my favorite being "When Harlem Was in Vogue" by David Levering Lewis. However, a more recent book, titled simply "Harlem" by Jonathan Gill, presents a more comprehensive history -- going all the way back to the time when the Dutch were the first settlers of New York, and named that area for the city of Haarlem in the Netherlands.
- Inside the collapse of Obama’s Syria ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 20 mins ago
- Politico, WaPo, ABC: This “no strategy” comment will do serious damage Ed Morrissey 59 mins ago
- How many times does Josh Earnest have to say ‘strategy’ before you forget yesterday? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- ISIS has shocked America back to its senses Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Surprise coming in MA gubernatorial race? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- America has no strategy, but ISIS does: Biological terrorism Noah Rothman 3 hours ago