What I'm wondering about is that the 5 released terrorists were Afghans. So why were they never turned over to Afghanistan Govt, instead of incarcerated at Gitmo? How come the Afghan govt never had any "say so" on the prisoner swap, since the 5 released terrorists mainly committed crimes against Afghans, not Americans?

A Lesson on Racial Discrimination

birdfighter Wrote: May 15, 2014 12:51 AM
My parents claimed they were not racists, even though they supported segregation. My parents had no ill feelings toward other races, but believed God had created the different races to associate with their own kind, and not mix. Sounds quaint, doesn't it? Yet was a world view for thousands of years. Even further than race, like Ancient Greeks separate from barbarians, or Biblical Jews from gentiles. It's pretty normal to seek association with your own kind even in modern times. I don't think Sterling is racist just because he doesn't want black companionship. What about black people that don't seek or want white companionship? For instance, what about Lebron James? Isn't he more interested in the black community than the white or integrated community? Does Lebron have any white companions or white business partners?

A Lesson on Racial Discrimination

birdfighter Wrote: May 15, 2014 12:24 AM
I'm always fascinated when a trivial event becomes headline news for days, even weeks. I mean, you have to ask yourself why. What's so important about something that is so unimportant? Well, it's populism. You know what that is, don't you? It's a political philosophy--and more so a general feeling of the majority--to attack and demonize the elite of society. Too bad there isn't more populism against Obama and his elite democrats.

The Stupid Party Acting Stupidly

birdfighter Wrote: Feb 14, 2014 3:21 AM
Derek: Totally agree with you--GOP can't win the brinkmanship game. Glad Ted Cruz made a fuss about it anyway. If you can't win, then at least make a fuss about it. A fuss about just the honest truth.
More jobs don't just occur spontaneously on their own, nor does govt stimulus money seem to create jobs. What creates jobs is employers, often called businesses or corporations. So the key to more jobs is more employers or for current employers to employ even more people. And govt has made it difficult for employers to create jobs--that's the problem. And by the way, a free market means, among other things, it is open to anything people might want to buy, not just necessary stuff. You know, stuff like footballs or hula hoops, even cigarettes. When you build jobs around just necessary things, the job market will be very limited. For full employment, you need a lot a things in the market that are trivial, frivolous, even unhealthy.

How the GOP Lost Middle America

birdfighter Wrote: Feb 02, 2014 4:41 AM
Back somewhere in about 1978 when Carter was Pres and there was a recession and gas shortage. I was commuting 60 to 90 miles a day one way to different job sites for the place I worked. So I thought I'd try one of those foreign vehicles, like a Toyota or Nissan. Bought a Toyota for myself, then a Nissan for my wife. I had owned a dozen or more USA vehicles before the Toyota and Nissan. The foreign vehicles were so much cheaper, more economical and just better made than USA vehicles, I've never bought another USA vehicle. So that's how USA business began to lose me as a customer. As for politics, again back in the 1970's I joined the new Libertarian party, as I was convinced before Regan said it famously--Government is the problem. I'm disappointed that Pat here in this article has laid so much blame on Bush 1 and the GOP for losing middle-class USA. The middle class has lost itself. Complacency mostly and watching too much dumb TV.

The State of the Yawn-ion

birdfighter Wrote: Jan 30, 2014 11:54 PM
I kinda liked the GOP response by Cathy Rodgers. She didn't say much, but presented a pleasant image of the republicans. And that's what the GOP needs most--a better image of themselves.
Unless you are a baby-boomer and actually remember JFK, then probably you didn’t find Bizzaro Jack a repulsive contradiction of the real JFK. It’s astounding to compare JFK to Obama. Like comparing Camelot to a slum, I guess. I’ve often heard it said that Obama is articulate and gives good speeches. I’ve listened to him a lot myself. Somehow I just keep hearing a small-minded demagogue, not a word that ever inspired me.

The United Whims of America

birdfighter Wrote: Jan 28, 2014 2:45 AM
Let's just face reality__govt is in control of our lives. You might work for the govt, a bureaucrat or soldier or cop. You might be dependent on the govt, for foodstamps, or welfare or social security or in prison. And if you are none of those who work for or are dependent on govt, then you must be a working stiff, paying 40 to 50% of your income to local, state and federal taxes. So, no matter who you are, govt controls your life--so why all this talk about laws, and democracy and liberty? What's relevant here is how much diversity can be allowed in the conformity to govt? And that's the problem with conservatives--they want too much independence.

Dr. Pangloss, Free Trader

birdfighter Wrote: Jan 25, 2014 3:27 AM
Free trade is sort of like playing football without any referees--so that each team gets to enforce its own rules. As Pat points out, China plays free trade to its advantage--an advantage USA can't play. The only reason USA has survived such massive trade deficits over several decades is the political dishonesty of national debt--17 trillion, a false prosperity, a fantasy of economic well-being. I'm amused to see so many posts here claiming the failure of protective tariffs, when in fact such tariffs have worked very well at times, particularly for USA up until the Great Depression. A lot of great things have been said about freedom, but, you know, we have these rules about equal application of the laws and due process, and Miranda, and taking the 5th, etc.; rules so that you can indeed be free. So I say free trade is not free trade unless it's fair trade. What's fair? You know, you play by the same rules as me.