Democratic presidents Woodrow Wilson and John F. Kennedy spoke plainly about the fact that higher tax rates on individuals and businesses did not automatically translate into higher tax revenues for the government. Beyond some point, high tax rates on those with high incomes simply led to those incomes being invested in tax-free bonds, with the revenue from those bonds being completely lost to the government -- and the investments lost...
There was a time when Democrats and Republicans alike could talk sense about tax rates, in terms of what is best for the economy, without demagoguery about "tax cuts for the rich."
- Luis Gutierrez: I have a duty to protect America, which is why I can’t support a border security bill Allahpundit 50 mins ago
- Iowa’s Joni Ernst isn’t out yet: New poll shows her with a majority support Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Gates: No “hope of success” against ISIS without boots on the ground Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition; Update: “Poor choice of words” Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- CBS/NYT poll shows Obama at new low on terrorism, foreign policy Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago