Consider the disconnects: California's combined income and sales taxes are among the nation's highest, but the state's deficit is still about $16 billion. It's estimated that more than 2,000 upper-income Californians are leaving per week to flee high taxes and costly regulations, yet California wants to raise taxes even higher; its business climate already ranks near the bottom of most surveys. Its teachers are among the highest paid on average in the nation, but its public school students consistently test near the bottom...
Driving across California is like going from Mississippi to Massachusetts without ever crossing a state line.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- DeBlasio faces three lawsuits for trying to shut down charter schools Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- European countries to US: Give us your gas Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- Venezuelan protesters digging in for the long haul Erika Johnsen 10 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Finally: Young liberals ready to explain the news to America Allahpundit 11 hours ago