Very important point. When we send a freshman senator or congressman to D.C. it takes no time at all for the unelected career bureaucrats to take them under their wing and explain how the game is played. "Your job is to get re-elected and don't worry, our job is to make you look good. We'll write the bills for you. We'll plan your agenda and write your speeches. We'll make you into a rock star." These government employees know that the elected official may be there for a limited time but they plan to be there forever.

Immigration Gambles

BigOlBear Wrote: Apr 24, 2013 8:20 AM
Wish there was a way to get our elected leaders to listen to the wisdom and common sense voiced by people like Thomas Sowell. This was one of his best columns. We have too many immigrants who come to America ... not to join us but, to colonize us. Political correctness will prove to be our undoing.

The Collapse of Leadership

BigOlBear Wrote: Apr 19, 2013 10:05 AM
I'm favorably impressed that you would even ask. A fatal flaw of those on the left (and some on the right as well), including the President, is the inability to accept even the existence of another point of view. Until we can listen to another's opinion and understand their perspective, without impuning their motives, we can never find common ground. It becomes impossible to have a discussion. Sadly, Obama is not only incapable of doing this but he even aggressively promotes this discord and divisiveness. You can't lead with a "my way or the highway" attitude.
Republican President Eisenhower.
I wish I could resist the temptation to respond to silly posts like this one. But, oh well ... Just a couple of quick questions: Obama is our leader, top executive position in the free world ... what has he done in this capacity that has earned your respect? Can you name any specific liberal proposal so far that is aimed at cutting spending or controlling our debt problem? And the name of the liberal who proposed it? Do you listen to Conservatives? I mean really listen? Come on ... admit it ... you would have drunk that Kool-Aid too.

Invincible Ignorance

BigOlBear Wrote: Dec 18, 2012 10:33 AM
Very well said.

Invincible Ignorance

BigOlBear Wrote: Dec 18, 2012 10:28 AM
Typical liberal ... when logic and reason fails you can always resort to personal attack and name-calling.

Invincible Ignorance

BigOlBear Wrote: Dec 18, 2012 9:28 AM
I've never owned a gun but I'm glad my neighbors do. As to reasons NOT to control assault weapons ... Thomas Jefferson said it best: "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. The federal government is our servant, not our master!"

Our Government-Created Financial Crisis

BigOlBear Wrote: Dec 12, 2012 10:48 AM
Totally agree!!!

Government Gone Bad

BigOlBear Wrote: Dec 12, 2012 10:43 AM
You've no doubt seen this proposal for a 28th amendment to the Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States." I have written to two of my Congressmen to try to find out how to go about advancing this proposal and, guess what? No response.
What I want to know is, how did the liberals manage to co-opt, academia, Hollywood and the press? Conservatives have a major hurdle overcoming the forces that indoctrinate our children, subtly paint our entertainment, and feed us their edited slant on current events. I know that I am in the majority but you'd never know it when the minority has the microphone.