Not only was former President George W. Bush criticized for "authorizing torture," his critics argued that "torture doesn't work." During the 2008 presidential campaign, then-Sen. Barack Obama said: "Torture is how you get bad information, not good intelligence. ... No more secret authorization of methods like simulated drowning. When I am President, America will once again be the country that stands up...
I could tell you blood-curdling tales about the chamber from my time as a Basic Training Drill Sergeant.
In "Zero Dark Thirty," the movie about the killing of Osama bin Laden, one of the first scenes shows a terrorist being waterboarded, where useful information gets extracted. The movie thus asserts the controversial practice leads to actionable intelligence.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Twitter blocks petition supporting Houston pastors Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Breaking: New White House fence-jumper taken down by K9s, apprehended Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Barack who? Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- What election? Network news gives up on covering midterms Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Could Oregon’s First Lady sink the Governor next month? Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago