Not only was former President George W. Bush criticized for "authorizing torture," his critics argued that "torture doesn't work." During the 2008 presidential campaign, then-Sen. Barack Obama said: "Torture is how you get bad information, not good intelligence. ... No more secret authorization of methods like simulated drowning. When I am President, America will once again be the country that stands up...
Yes, I think I do. I am sure Mr. Panetta is a nice man-but he hasn't demonstrated to me that he is any more bright than your average tomato. Additionally, I haven't seen any credible evidence that any of this illegal c rap has led to anything. More importantly, every time you do this, you give terrorists free recruiting material; creating multiple terrorists for every one you capture. This is self-defeating and stupid, and that's why you didn't think of it.
In "Zero Dark Thirty," the movie about the killing of Osama bin Laden, one of the first scenes shows a terrorist being waterboarded, where useful information gets extracted. The movie thus asserts the controversial practice leads to actionable intelligence.
- Obama not grasping the seriousness of the Foley murder, says … Chris Matthews? Ed Morrissey 21 mins ago
- Decision to release details of failed raid to free James Foley backfires on White House Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Philadelphia mayor prepares to fund Russian mob with new cigarette tax Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 13 hours ago