I believe that the route to "winning" the abortion argument is as follows: First, acknowledge that all abortion, regardless of trimester or means of conception, is homicide, literally, the killing of a human being. Second, recognize that most pro-lifers, as well as pro-choicers, understand and accept that some homicides are justifiable; examples include war, capital punishment and self-defense. Third, establish a simple algorithm for determining whether an abortion is justifiable or illegal homicide based on which trimester. Leave that decision exclusively to the pregnant woman in the first trimester, but create strong rules for the determination in the second two based on the medical threat to the pregnant woman's life.
Todd Akin’s grossly irresponsible remarks about “legitimate rape” and conception have received much media attention. As well they should. The sheer weirdness of the remarks calls into question both his intelligence and his personal integrity. How could someone conclude logically that a rape victim’s body has the capacity to prevent conception in the wake of sexual assault? And why would someone assert that the conclusion had been supported by doctors with whom he had spoken? Clearly, Akin contrived the idea on the spot and then contrived the claim that there were doctors who had informed and/or supported his assertion. All of...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 24 minutes ago
- DeBlasio faces three lawsuits for trying to shut down charter schools Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- European countries to US: Give us your gas Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Venezuelan protesters digging in for the long haul Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Finally: Young liberals ready to explain the news to America Allahpundit 5 hours ago