Highway Bill: The Unmentionable Option

Berniefeh Wrote: Nov 17, 2014 12:45 PM
In addition to the suggestions already made, maybe we could repair a few more roads and build a few less bike and walking trails to nowhere. My home town has spent millions on a bike and walking trail that I never see anyone use. However, we have a bridge that has been restricted to 10 tons or less for two years now because they don't have the money to rebuild it. I have seen perfectly good roads torn up and rebuilt when they would have lasted at least ten years more. The roads would also last longer if the expansion cuts were made at an angle instead of perpendicular to road travel. That way, both tires on an axle would not hit the break at the same time. It would be easier on the road and on the vehicles, particularly heavy trucks.
Bravo. The "stupid voters" were my senator, Ben Nelson, and Mary Landrieu. However the cronies took care of Nelson who is now CEO of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. I will bet that job pays a whole lot more than a senator's salary.
Jonathan Gruber was right. There were 60 stupid people in the Senate (including my Senator Ben Nelson - biggest sucker of them all) and a majority (all democrats in the House) that voted for Obamacare. Not a single Republican in either house was stupid enough to vote for that mess. Whose stupid now?????
If I were a party to the lawsuit that precipitated this change in the law, I would petition the judge to declare that it is still too restrictive and ask that it be stricken and give them about 10 days to come up with something like the other states have or give a permanent injunction.
At sometime in my past, I remember reading a science fiction story where the premise was based upon controlling population growth via homosexuality. Only the elite few were allowed to have heterosexual relationships to provide replacement people. Seems that Mr. Denson might have read the same story. I never cease to be amazed at how stupid so-called experts can be sometimes - I am sure it is the only way they can get media attention. Right now, the latest numbers I have read indicate that population growth has slowed and is expected to peak by the end of this century - primarily due to improved medicine and no need for families to have 10 kids in order to have two or three survive. Also a result of continually improving living standards. The joke in the electric power industry is that you can get a grant for any kind of research (no matter how ridiculous) as long as you end your description of what you want to study with the words "as it relates to global warming."

Ok Let's Have Open Carry on Campus

Berniefeh Wrote: Jan 08, 2014 10:58 AM
Agreed, but it could turn the other way. Why advertise high value merchandise. Those .45's would easily be worth $500 on the street.

Ok Let's Have Open Carry on Campus

Berniefeh Wrote: Jan 07, 2014 8:25 PM
Your nagging feeling is not born out by the facts. Statistics have shown that, as said here by others, concealed carry permit holders are even more law abiding than law enforcement. For example, one year, in Florida with over 200,000 permits issued, only three had been revoked for criminal activity and none of the revocations involved a weapons charge. Sorry I don't have the citation any more - it was a Florida newspaper research item.

Ok Let's Have Open Carry on Campus

Berniefeh Wrote: Jan 07, 2014 8:22 PM
Maybe you are just lucky he didn't decide to shoot you and get both your guns to sell too. I'm glad things turned out well for you. Not always the case.

Ok Let's Have Open Carry on Campus

Berniefeh Wrote: Jan 07, 2014 6:23 PM
There is a theory that the gun grabbers are so unsure of their own emotional control that they fear they would pull a gun and use it in the heat of an argument so they assume that the rest of us must be just as unstable. I carry almost all of the time - not in courthouses or other places prohibited by law. If I come to a business that prohibits carrying guns, I have a card from nicorazz.com that says: NO GUNS = NO MONEY which I give them and then go to another business. You should see the surprised looks I get. I have never given thought to pulling my gun to settle an argument. If it ever got that heated, I would simply walk away because no amount of discussion will settle the issue.

Ok Let's Have Open Carry on Campus

Berniefeh Wrote: Jan 07, 2014 3:51 PM
The answer is found in Canada and Australia - murders with blunt objects (baseball bats, etc.) goes way up when you don't have handguns. The answer is make it a lot easier for law-abiding blacks (which is almost all of them) to get and carry concealed weapons. You will see the murder rate of blacks on blacks drop significantly. The ruling yesterday in Chicago will make it easier for Chicago residents to get guns and when they start issuing CCW permits, I expect to see significant drop in murders. That is really going to cause angst among the citizen (gun) control group.