You see the signs everywhere: "We accept EBT." Fast-food restaurants do. Clothing retailers do. Auto repair shops, liquor stores and even sushi joints are joining the club. "EBT" stands for the federal government's electronic benefits transfer card, which is intended to provide poor people with food stamps and cash...
I read Ms. Malkin fairly frequently. Until now I'd never would have guessed she was a naive soul. Welfare isn't about relieving poverty, assisting the needy, and there certainly is no interest in accountability or enforcing appropriate usage. Good gracious! Does anybody really believe that? The cold truth is we are witnessing the replay of Rome's "bread and games" with government handouts being the modern bread and Behngazi, gun control, gay marriage, global warming and the fiscal cliff serving as the new games. Anybody recall what happened to Rome not too long after?
From New York to New Mexico and across the dependent plains, welfare recipients are getting sauced on the public dime. Drunk, besotted, bombed. But while politicians pay lip service to cutting government waste, fraud and abuse, they're doing very little in practice to stop the EBT party excesses. Where's the compassion for taxpayers?
- The left’s war on football Noah Rothman 42 mins ago
- Does the Left really reject Hillary? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Australian raids net more than a dozen terror suspects before planned wave of attacks Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Sigh: Busch Gardens removes disembodied heads from Halloween display Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Holder running out the clock on Fast & Furious? Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago