Those who talk glibly about redistribution often act as if people are just inert objects that can be placed here and there, like pieces on a chess board, to carry out some grand design. But if human beings have their own responses to government policies,...
I always am amazed when the teachings of Jesus are used to bolster the argument for social justice. I'm sure that Jesus would be strongly in favor of government programs that enable an 80% illegitimate birth rate or generation after generation existing solely on government sustenance. Another strawman argument is to assume hypocrisy in those who are against socialistic policies but rely on Social Security and Medicare. Although incredibly failed programs, they were sold on the basis that their benefits are earned by the lifetime labor of its participants. The fact that those lifetime contributions were squandered does not mean that those programs equate with any "redistribution" through giveaway programs.
The recently discovered tape on which Barack Obama said back in 1998 that he believes in redistribution is not really news. He said the same thing to Joe the Plumber four years ago. But the surfacing of this tape may serve a useful purpose if it gets people to thinking about what the consequences of redistribution are.
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Pence: Cheer up — we’re winning! Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago