Come summer, the flags will fly and the fireworks will pop, and bands will ring out “Stars And Stripes Forever.” But these don’t seem to resonate in the broader culture anymore, the way vampires and zombies do. Year-round, TV and the movies are awash in the blood of horror flicks. Horror fiction seems to outsell everything else, for teens and adults. And in many neighborhoods, people seem much more excited about spooking up their homes for Halloween than they do about sprucing them up for...
It's very revealing that Halloween tends to be at the top of the list of favorite holidays for homosexuals. Perhaps they can more intimately relate to the imagery of death and decay. Or, maybe, it's the childishness of the holiday (it really is more suited to children than adults) that appeals to them in their arrested emotional development.
Sometimes, I wonder if Halloween is supplanting the Fourth of July as our national holiday.
- Germany expels US embassy official over spying row Ed Morrissey 42 minutes ago
- Obama’s pathetic border crisis blame shifting Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Israel escalates offensive in Gaza, Hamas rocket commander killed Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air interview with Marco Rubio on border crisis, Hobby Lobby Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- In Illinois and California, public servants skate in police abuse cases Mary Katharine Ham 13 hours ago