Come summer, the flags will fly and the fireworks will pop, and bands will ring out “Stars And Stripes Forever.” But these don’t seem to resonate in the broader culture anymore, the way vampires and zombies do. Year-round, TV and the movies are awash in the blood of horror flicks. Horror fiction seems to outsell everything else, for teens and adults. And in many neighborhoods, people seem much more excited about spooking up their homes for Halloween than they do about sprucing them up for...
It's very revealing that Halloween tends to be at the top of the list of favorite holidays for homosexuals. Perhaps they can more intimately relate to the imagery of death and decay. Or, maybe, it's the childishness of the holiday (it really is more suited to children than adults) that appeals to them in their arrested emotional development.
Sometimes, I wonder if Halloween is supplanting the Fourth of July as our national holiday.
- CBO revises estimate, warns U.S. economic growth will underwhelm in 2014 Noah Rothman 37 mins ago
- VA customer relations training equates vets angry over care with … Oscar the Grouch Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- ESPN apologizes for reporting on whether Michael Sam is showering with his teammates after practice Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- YouGov poll: Majority thinks it’s unfair to criticize presidents for playing golf Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: “I suddenly remember how good the American people are …” Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Jubilation: Israel and Syria trade fire as Islamists seize territory along tense border Noah Rothman 3 hours ago