Democrats appear to have the upper hand on the politics of the fiscal cliff, which might explain their brash pronouncements and mind-blowing conceptualization of "compromise." This morning I outlined three possible contingencies for Republicans, none of which is especially attractive. But is there a fourth way? The GOP's dilemma is a doozy. Their opponents, emboldened by the election, are pushing for counter-productive tax hikes on "the rich" -- a politically popular...
What we're all ignoring in this debate is that no proposal, from anyone, at any time, has ever dealt with what's being called government borrowing, which is government printing of money. So far, government hasn't even lowered the rate of acceleration in the accumulation of debt. My pet solution is to reduce the massively bloated federal payroll of bureaucrasts that duplicate, trip;icate and quadruplicate state and local government functions just to pay friends and relatives of politicans huge salaries, benefits and pensions to write regulations that drive private sector businesses off-shore or out of business. Time to trim the administrative fat, first, which will trigger a new wave of government streamlining and consolidation.
- Poll: 63% oppose Obama’s executive order on amnesty Allahpundit 10 mins ago
- Ukraine ends offensive operations against rebels, digs in to repel Russian invasion Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- Great news: Homeland Security can’t find 6,000 foreign nationals in US Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Did US kill Al-Shabaab leader responsible for Kenya mall massacre? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- CDC Director: Ebola in Africa now an ‘epidemic,’ ‘completely out of control’ Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: UK takes steps to keep British jihadists from returning Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago