Democrats appear to have the upper hand on the politics of the fiscal cliff, which might explain their brash pronouncements and mind-blowing conceptualization of "compromise." This morning I outlined three possible contingencies for Republicans, none of which is especially attractive. But is there a fourth way? The GOP's dilemma is a doozy. Their opponents, emboldened by the election, are pushing for counter-productive tax hikes on "the rich" -- a politically popular...
What we're all ignoring in this debate is that no proposal, from anyone, at any time, has ever dealt with what's being called government borrowing, which is government printing of money. So far, government hasn't even lowered the rate of acceleration in the accumulation of debt. My pet solution is to reduce the massively bloated federal payroll of bureaucrasts that duplicate, trip;icate and quadruplicate state and local government functions just to pay friends and relatives of politicans huge salaries, benefits and pensions to write regulations that drive private sector businesses off-shore or out of business. Time to trim the administrative fat, first, which will trigger a new wave of government streamlining and consolidation.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 14 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 17 hours ago