Democrats appear to have the upper hand on the politics of the fiscal cliff, which might explain their brash pronouncements and mind-blowing conceptualization of "compromise." This morning I outlined three possible contingencies for Republicans, none of which is especially attractive. But is there a fourth way? The GOP's dilemma is a doozy. Their opponents, emboldened by the election, are pushing for counter-productive tax hikes on "the rich" -- a politically popular...
What we're all ignoring in this debate is that no proposal, from anyone, at any time, has ever dealt with what's being called government borrowing, which is government printing of money. So far, government hasn't even lowered the rate of acceleration in the accumulation of debt. My pet solution is to reduce the massively bloated federal payroll of bureaucrasts that duplicate, trip;icate and quadruplicate state and local government functions just to pay friends and relatives of politicans huge salaries, benefits and pensions to write regulations that drive private sector businesses off-shore or out of business. Time to trim the administrative fat, first, which will trigger a new wave of government streamlining and consolidation.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Brave cat jumps from fiery collapsing building, saves no one but himself Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- D.C. cabs companies blame ride-sharing for loss of revenue Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Pew poll: Majority of Republicans think GOP isn’t doing a good job on spending, immigration, and gay marriage Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Ruth Bader Ginsberg to liberals: You really think Obama can replace me? Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- Building blocks of the GOP Senate majority coming together Noah Rothman 4 hours ago