The organization's hysteric solution to gun violence in America is to put designated sitting ducks -- er, "armed police officers" -- in every American school. Apparently the secret is now out that such places are "gun-free," and LaPierre says that "(gun-free school zones) tell every insane killer in America...
La Pierre has gone off the deep end a little. The last well publicized school shooters all killed themselves when confronted with resistance. We need on site resistance for a very short period of time and a new federal cabinet level bureaucracy like Homeland Security is not the answer. The solution is to have one or more armed, trained, and capable teachers or staff on site to occupy potential killers until the law enforcement professionals arrive. There has to be well planned tactics, though, so we don't wind up with the good guys shooting at eachother. There were huge tactical differences between Columbine, Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook, or even Ft Hood. There's always the "one size fits all" approach to government run security.
After a tragedy like the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Newtown, Conn., the injection of anything short of seriousness into the subsequent public discourse about guns is touchy. But last week, the National Rifle Association blasted numerous rounds into that particular barrier with NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre's mouth.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Will 2014 be the year that Jews support the GOP? Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Flashpoint Hong Kong: China rules out democracy for the former British territory Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- Your tax dollars at work: PBS to air pro-abortion “After Tiller” movie tomorrow Dustin Siggins 12 hours ago
- NFL Regular Season open thread Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- Et tu, Di Fi? Feinstein sours on Obama’s ‘too cautious’ approach to ISIS Noah Rothman 15 hours ago