The measure, unless blocked by a judge, will take effect in six months. The health board vote was the only regulatory approval needed to become binding in the city, but the American soft-drink industry has strongly opposed...
In response to:
I wonder what will be next, No big macs or chicken wings. Government wants to control our lives and we are letting them do it. Shame on us.
The New York City Board of Health today approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal to ban sugary drinks that come in sizes larger than 16 oz on a unanimous 9-0 vote. This was mildly surprising considering the national controversy that broke out in the wake of Bloomberg's initial plan, but the New York City bureaucrats have never been receptive to public outcry.
- Kerry lands in Cairo as Hamas, Israel refuse cease fire Ed Morrissey 43 minutes ago
- IRS: Hey, maybe we do have our e-mail backups Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Again: Exactly which elite, liberal institution does have to live up to the Left’s values? Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago
- Detroit suspends water shut-offs for 15 days Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Through the looking glass: White House that loves using anonymous sources upset at being attacked by anonymous sources Allahpundit 13 hours ago