Their thinking was this: The GOP was on the wrong side of the polls in the battle over raising taxes on the highest earners. Surveys showed substantial public support for the president and Democrats on that issue. But Republicans are on...
In response to:
I hope like Hell these Repubs on the Hill are serious about fighting for what's right, this time. If they can't go toe-to-toe with the socialist in the WH, they don't deserve to be there. With their track record of recent years, I'm not holding my breath.
During the "fiscal cliff" battle, I asked several Republican lawmakers why they didn't push harder for spending cuts in exchange for their historic concession to vote for higher taxes. They invariably answered that they were waiting for the fight over raising the debt ceiling. Then, they promised, Republicans would demand serious cuts, especially in entitlement spending, from President Obama.
- Video: Chris Matthews attempts a do-over during his live show Mary Katharine Ham 34 minutes ago
- FL-13 special election: Jolly wins! Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- Finally: “Frozen,” the honest trailer Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Union leaders: Man, this Keystone XL decision just “reeks of politics” Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- McCain on Ted Cruz: Have these self-proclaimed Reagan Republicans forgotten that Reagan gave amnesty to three million illegals? Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Yikes: ObamaCare signups slowed down in February Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago