Their thinking was this: The GOP was on the wrong side of the polls in the battle over raising taxes on the highest earners. Surveys showed substantial public support for the president and Democrats on that issue. But Republicans are on...
In response to:
I hope like Hell these Repubs on the Hill are serious about fighting for what's right, this time. If they can't go toe-to-toe with the socialist in the WH, they don't deserve to be there. With their track record of recent years, I'm not holding my breath.
During the "fiscal cliff" battle, I asked several Republican lawmakers why they didn't push harder for spending cuts in exchange for their historic concession to vote for higher taxes. They invariably answered that they were waiting for the fight over raising the debt ceiling. Then, they promised, Republicans would demand serious cuts, especially in entitlement spending, from President Obama.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- John Roberts doesn’t believe either Scalia or Ginsburg could be confirmed today Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Publisher rips New York Times for snubbing David Limbaugh’s book Noah Rothman 4 hours ago
- How to lose a war before it begins Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- Putin: I could have troops in Kiev… Warsaw and Bucharest Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- NFL Week 3 open thread Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago