It’s wrong to say that American was founded by capitalists. In fact, America was founded by socialists who had the humility to learn from their initial mistakes and embrace freedom. One of the earliest and arguably most historically significant North American colonies was Plymouth Colony, founded in 1620 in what is now known as Plymouth, Massachusetts. As I’ve outlined in greater detail here before (Lessons From a Capitalist Thanksgiving), the original colony had written into its charter a system of communal property and labor. As William Bradford recorded in his Of Plymouth Plantation, a people who had formerly...
In response to:
Actually it was a more complex arrangement than you indicate. The earliest methods might have looked communist, but the intent was a journey toward freedom, liberty, and private property. To live in one house because there is only one house isn't exactly a communist intent, but one of necessity. The investors tried to force a communal existence as they believed it yielded a better return, but it was a concept not favored by the "pilgrims". They moved as quickly as possible toward a private property status. Their early failure was for other reasons. To condense it for a political point is to ignore the complexity of the situation. Communism is an economic failure, but the Plymouth Colony isn't the best example.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 9 hours ago