'Proportional' Response

Bayou Charley Wrote: Apr 09, 2013 7:47 AM
The solution to North Korea is simply to tell Kim Jong-Un, attack and the next sound you hear will be a bunker buster coming down your chimney.

Gifted Hands

Bayou Charley Wrote: Mar 19, 2013 7:26 AM
One mistake of the ending of school segregation was that one day they were segregated and the next day they were not. It was like suddenly putting 3rd graders in a 6th grade class. Most blacks were lost as their schools were inferior. Attempts to arrange classes by student capability was blocked as attempts at re-segregation. Results was to fail the black students, holding them back which was not allowed, or to teach all 6th grades at a 3rd grade level. It was a long lasting problem that served neither student.

What I Saw in Israel

Bayou Charley Wrote: Mar 18, 2013 8:19 AM
I have the WWII slide collection of my Grand Uncle who served as a Captain in the US Army as a Chaplain with a mobile hospital unit. One segment of the photos were of prisoners who were killed and burned by the Nazis. Some are stacked waiting to be burned. He didn't lie or fake these photos. The atrocities were real.

Intellectuals and Race: Part III

Bayou Charley Wrote: Mar 14, 2013 7:30 AM
Intellectuals, like experts, gain their titles by their own claims, not by examining the result of their actions.
If you contact your "representative" (Do they really represent you? Why call them that?) all that does is cause them to hire more staff to read your mail and respond with a form letter. The more you write the more they hire.

Abraham Lincoln

Bayou Charley Wrote: Feb 20, 2013 8:14 AM
Whatever the motives it was a huge failure of Lincoln's leadership to choose the path of death and destruction. The death of 600,000, wounds of many more, and the destruction of huge amounts of property wasn't necessary. Today we mourn the death of 10 in battle on a bad day. Then, they mourned the death of 10,000 in one battle in one day. Imagine that. When the slaves were "freed" it was without preparation leaving them poorly equipped to survive. As a libertarian I find involuntary slavery repugnant. I find mass killing and destruction more so.
With the closing of the factories in my region the jobs that were found by the workers paid much less and generally had little or no benefits. As a result the lifestyle of the region dropped. As some manufacturing jobs have returned the pay and benefits are lower than prior manufacturing, but higher than the service sector. The fact is that my neighbors compete with workers world wide instead of the relatively regional labor competition in the past. Textiles moved from the northeast to the southeast to lower the cost of transportation of raw materials (cotton) and for the lower cost of labor. Government, pressured by the northeast, created the "minimum" wage to raise the wages in the south and stem the tide of factories moving.
The dollar savings plan works. I've done it for years. When I get 100 ones I go to the bank and convert it to a $100 bill. I'm less likely to break a $100. I stuff it away. Unlike your description I do the same with my change. I disagree with you idea of cutting government spending. The only way to cut is across the board so that everyone's ox is gored.

Official Lies

Bayou Charley Wrote: Jan 30, 2013 7:35 AM
You are correct. We have a one party system with two shopping lists. The states can band together to correct some of this, but they too are addicted to other people's money.
Entitlements are out of control, but as to the military argument a study that would be interesting would be to produce a ratio of the actual number of people who are ever in a war zone to the total number of military and civilians paid under the flag of defense.