Most of us today think of Harlem as a black community, but it was not that for most of its 400-year history. John James Audubon, famed for his studies of birds, was...
Thanks Dr. Sowell. We really appreciate your wisdom and knowledge. My 50 yr. old daughter is reading your book, BASIC ECONOMICS. She loves it and is learning a lot.
Books about the history of Harlem have long fascinated me -- my favorite being "When Harlem Was in Vogue" by David Levering Lewis. However, a more recent book, titled simply "Harlem" by Jonathan Gill, presents a more comprehensive history -- going all the way back to the time when the Dutch were the first settlers of New York, and named that area for the city of Haarlem in the Netherlands.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 minutes ago
- Rubio: Only one nation can stand up to the wave of totalitarianism Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- HHS: Why, no, we are not measuring the very metric ObamaCare was passed to improve Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Video: Meet your 2014 CPAC blogger of the year Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Carney: Why no, Obama does not regret being dismissive of Mitt Romney on Russia Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- Brutal: Just one in 10 uninsured who qualify for ObamaCare exchange plans has signed up Allahpundit 4 hours ago