Most of us today think of Harlem as a black community, but it was not that for most of its 400-year history. John James Audubon, famed for his studies of birds, was...
Thanks Dr. Sowell. We really appreciate your wisdom and knowledge. My 50 yr. old daughter is reading your book, BASIC ECONOMICS. She loves it and is learning a lot.
Books about the history of Harlem have long fascinated me -- my favorite being "When Harlem Was in Vogue" by David Levering Lewis. However, a more recent book, titled simply "Harlem" by Jonathan Gill, presents a more comprehensive history -- going all the way back to the time when the Dutch were the first settlers of New York, and named that area for the city of Haarlem in the Netherlands.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Kochs’ next dastardly deed: Creating good public defenders for low-income accused Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Reading the early voting tea leaves: Republicans closing the gap Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- White House to red-state Democrats: Don’t blame Precious if you lose Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- ISIS mortar shells now landing in Baghdad’s Green Zone Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- SCOTUS to consider police searches of hotel registries Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago