How much more in taxes would you be willing to pay for the sake of reducing the risk of having to recover from the damage done by a natural disaster?
We're asking that question today as Hurricane Sandy has already done most of the damage it is going to do to the northeastern United States, but really, we're going to apply lessons learned back in 2005 from Hurricane Katrina. John Whitehead wrote in considering the cost of a flood-free New Orleans in the aftermath of that natural disaster:
- Obama: I don’t watch the news because I usually already know the stuff they’re reporting Allahpundit 38 minutes ago
- Perdue grabs surprise runoff victory over Kingston in Georgia Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Putin signals total disregard for the West as rebels take down two more Ukrainian planes Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- US intel: MH17 missile an SA-11 fired from eastern Ukraine Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- White House giving up fight over Obamacare’s contraception mandate? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Kerry arrives in Israel for cease-fire talks Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago