When 1950s comedian Lenny Bruce titillated his audiences with the F-word and crude sex talk, liberals came to his defense. They reminded us that vulgar speech is not a crime: The First Amendment was not just designed to protect uplifting expression, but also rarer blasphemous and indecent...
Godwin's Law is bad enough, but Godwin's Law that's also Freudian projection is just stupid.
The American Left used to champion free expression. We were lectured -- correctly -- that the price of being repulsed by occasional crude talk and art was worth paying. Only that way could Americans ensure our daily right to criticize those with greater power and influence whom we found wrong and objectionable.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Sigh: Busch Gardens removes disembodied heads from Halloween display Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Holder running out the clock on Fast & Furious? Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Surge: Walker regains the lead in Wisconsin Guy Benson 6 hours ago
- Gallup: Americans trust in the media matches historic low Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Obama’s administration at war with itself over ISIS strategy Noah Rothman 8 hours ago