1 - 8

Don't Blame Romney

awootton Wrote: Nov 08, 2012 9:18 PM
Rome is still a city in Italy. Most of europe speaks languages descended from Latin just like most of the world speaks English now. Did you read Buchanan? The US, as our forefathers knew it, is toast already. Long live the US. How do you propose to fight an unruly mob demanding bread and circuses?

Don't Blame Romney

awootton Wrote: Nov 08, 2012 3:03 AM
Yes. I know it sounds strange but it's a Judo move where you let your opponent rush you, step out of the way, and trip him as he passes.

Don't Blame Romney

awootton Wrote: Nov 08, 2012 2:46 AM
Unlike Pat Buchanan I am not weeping about it but, instead, thinking that the sooner it happens the better. Life will go on. I will lose my social security and medicaid but it's better for my kids that way and the current business where I pay 42% (soon promised to go up) to The Tax Man will end when Washington can no longer meet payroll for the enforcement that keeps that happening. "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until a majority of voters discover that they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury." – Alexander Tytler

Don't Blame Romney

awootton Wrote: Nov 08, 2012 2:45 AM
I have completely changed my mind in the last 24 hours. What I am seeing is the failure of the two party system and of democracy in general. It's not so much that our democracy doesn't represent the people it's just that democracies historically fail by purporting to represent the people altogether too much. I thought that Romney was sincere and that he wanted to 'manage the country' into prosperity but there are too many 'third rails' that cannot be touched by ANY candidate. I don't, now, think it would work out even if he was elected. I see the Federal Government, and Sacramento, getting more and more extreme and overextended until they crash and burn much like Moscow at the end of the '80s. Unlike Pat Buchanan I am not weeping about it b

Obama's Terrifying Tax Trick

awootton Wrote: Jun 21, 2012 12:59 AM
Sometimes I do wonder if it might be better to just let the feds go bankrupt. I really don't think that 'total economic collapse' would happen. One can't both say that the fed takes way too much control and then also say that we need the fed.

Obama's Terrifying Tax Trick

awootton Wrote: Jun 21, 2012 12:00 AM
In my extended family half a million dollars disappeared in 2008. There are worthy children who are not going to college because of that. For me it's not just a political debate because it's PERSONAL.

Obama's Terrifying Tax Trick

awootton Wrote: Jun 20, 2012 11:50 PM
I keep one central thing at the front of my mind at all times when reading political news. Between the state (CA) and the feds I pay 40% in taxes. My dear old dad (a doctor) has been telling me for decades "when they go for more money it's always from people like us". When I talked to him on fathers day he said "so, you are a 1%er ha ha". Actually, I am not. Still, if I could have the money I pay in taxes ($100,000/year) I could fund schools. I could pay health insurance for the old people in my family. I could and would invest in local business and banks. I don't NEED my money except to buy some nerdy computer stuff once in a while. ALL of my money is spent on my family. I drive a used honda. I'm a smart guy. I know what to do.
This whole story gives me a serious case of mental whiplash aka Déjà vu. You see, I read ‘The Bonfire Of The Vanities’ (1987, Tom Wolfe) where this whole situation was more or less predicted. Every side, and I do mean EVERY side (sorry kpavlich), uses the case at hand to promote their agenda. The only thing different here is the internet so it just happens faster, and harder. There is no truth here, yet, and that is the point. The truth will come out eventually, but it’s the delay that allows speculation and (imho) foolishness. "History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme." - Mark Twain.
1 - 8