One of the strongest elements of Mitt Romney's spectacular debate performance was his decisive rejoinder to the president's oft-repeated allegation that the Republican plans to raise taxes on middle class families. Obama said Romney has designs on an unpaid-for $5 trillion tax cut that would eventually necessitate higher tax bills for average Americans. Romney flatly rejected the claim by calling it false, then explained what he actually has in mind. But the president returned to the "$5 trillion" well on several subsequent occasions, prompting more rebuttals from his challenger. FactCheck.org and CNN reviewed Obama's accusation, and found it wanting....
In response to:
Mr. Soros told me when he gave me my check that Obama is sure to win the second debate. So I'm not worried about it!
- WaPo: Hillary adviser raised funds illegally for 2008 shadow campaign? Ed Morrissey 23 minutes ago
- Oh, by the way: Obama just quietly suspended ObamaCare’s individual mandate until 2016 Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Oh, it’s HBO! Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Issa releases scathing report on Lerner Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Obama: Health insurance isn’t expensive – just cancel cable and phones; Update: White House responds Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Washington, Europe getting serious about Russia sanctions over Crimea? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago