Jonathan put it better: "Well, let's say that single mothers are more vulnerable to economic shocks and are more concerned about the safety net." Much more diplomatic. Single voters were...
Not all single people are parents. Not all single people are parasites. Not all single people are stupid. Not all single people are young. Some of us are single by choice, and we are self-supporting (and frequently helping support our aging parents, often-divorced sisters and their kids, and destitute friends), well educated, paying our debts when due, and not Occupiers. Some of us single women realize that a full time career and independence are what we want, and we are happy therein.
Discussing the role of single people in the election of 2012 on my weekly podcast with Jay Nordlinger "Need to Know" (available on Ricochet.com or Nationalreview.com), your humble columnist chose the insensitive way to address it. Chatting with Jonathan V. Last of The Weekly Standard about his piece "A Nation of Singles," I popped off that "Single mothers want the state to be their husbands and father to their children."
- Conservatives and establishment GOP agree: Don’t impeach Obama Noah Rothman 27 minutes ago
- Democrats plan on making Hobby Lobby their midterm message Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Perry: Border crisis is Obama’s Katrina Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- MSNBC host: These calls for Obama’s impeachment are “treasonous accusations” Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Report: ISIS just seized a bunch of uranium in Iraq Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Germany expels US embassy official over spying row Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago