My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 2:35 PM
Current prophets and apostles are taken very seriously. We listen to them at general conference, held twice a year. Because they are prophets and apostles, they tend to be very, very, careful about what they say. They learn this through years of experience. If you listen to any of them speak, they are very articulate and thoughtful and they weigh their words very carefully.

My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 2:30 PM
Bob: Then the New Testament is simply a plagiarism of the Old Testament. If one is quoted in the other, it must all be a hoax? The Book of Mormon quotes the Bible.

My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 2:22 PM
RE: "they have no teachings that cannot be changed in the future by a subsequent president." Actually, we do believe in an open canon. The teachings of modern prophets coexist and have more modern application than something said earlier. Some teachings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young are timeless; others were intended only for the saints of their time.

My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 2:17 PM
By the high council of a local stake (a stake is comprised of multiple wards, comparable to a parish in the Catholic faith). It is very serious, and designed to bring the offending party to a knowledge of his/her guilt, and is intended to encourage sincere, contrite, repentance, which would me monitored and measured over a long period of time.

My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 2:14 PM
You would need to read and study a long time about Mormon theology to reach that conclusion.

My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 2:13 PM
Linda: The word "Mormon" is actually a nickname. Historically, it was not a name we used to describe ourselves, but a name that came from without. We do not consider it an insult. But we did not name ourselves "Mormons" . We were called "Mormons" in the early days of the Church by friends who were not of our faith. The recent "I'm a Mormon" ads you see use the term because that is the vocabulary word that most people associate with our unique Christian faith. "I'm a Christian" would be accurate but would not distinguish us our our unique beliefs from those of other true believers, our Christian brothers and sisters. The correct, longer and more formal way to refer to ourselves would be: "I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 1:40 PM
Another way to look at it: In this Country, the United States of America, the land of the free and the home of the brave, we practiced slavery. True. In this country, that is supposed to champion, liberty, we did. That was a painful part of our past and we had to learn some lessons the hard way. But it is a painful truth. We no longer do. We no longer practice slavery, and the struggle to bring civil rights and civil behavior to the forefront of our consciousness has been a long and difficult struggle, as we seek to live ideals. Okay. Mormons used to practice polygamy. We no longer do.

My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 1:34 PM
The step to purity, as taught and practiced by the Church membership today (e.g. neither polygamy or adultery is tolerated now, and one can be excommunicated for practicing either) has been a gradual, painful process. In the early Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, there was definitely a struggle between ideals and practice. Polygamy, I believe--- and this is not a current official teaching of the Church, just my opinion---- was a painful series of stepping stones to the monogamous families--- and the strong family culture-- that we try to have and live---not just in theory but in practice--today.

My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 1:32 PM
Joseph Smith’s first vision, and the revelations that followed, we believe, are divine. Jesus himself came to rectify things that were not right and to restore true teachings and principles of His Church. The message of the Savior was intended for Joseph Smith, the early saints, and for all who would receive it later. We are all a work in progress.

My Apology to Mormon Readers

AskthisMormon Wrote: Jun 05, 2013 1:31 PM
Please recall that when Joseph Smith received his first vision, his life was a product of early protestant America, as were most of the early Saints. These communities were not, nor were their religious leaders, as pure as they would have had you believe. To say that Joseph Smith and the early leaders of the Church were dirty against a backdrop of a pure, non-adulterous Christian America, would be disingenuous. In early America, there were Christian teachings. Then there were how people lived. There was often a huge gulf between the two. To some extent, that is a battle that still goes on in America today.