Alexander Hamilton: "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed," adding later, "If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is...
The Nazis didn't start out killing people. They started out getting elected by making a lot of promises they couldn't keep, just like Obamanation and the Dems. Lots of totalitarians wear smiley faces to begin with but when they feel strong enough, the mask drops and the killings begin. Invariably, disarming the population is one of their first steps so that all force resides with the government and criminals, eventually interchangeable.
Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings, said: "The British are not coming. ... We don't need all these guns to kill people." Lewis' vision, shared by many, represents a gross ignorance of why the framers of the Constitution gave us the Second Amendment. How about a few quotes from the period and you decide whether our Founding Fathers harbored a fear of foreign tyrants.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Sigh: Busch Gardens removes disembodied heads from Halloween display Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Holder running out the clock on Fast & Furious? Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Surge: Walker regains the lead in Wisconsin Guy Benson 7 hours ago
- Gallup: Americans trust in the media matches historic low Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- Obama’s administration at war with itself over ISIS strategy Noah Rothman 8 hours ago