Bravo!! The best article in here in a while. And in my opinion, assault rifles and like are precisely what the second amendment would protect more than any other gun type, in this day and age. The reason being that defense against tyranny is the biggest reason the founders created the 2nd amendment. The object of the amendment was to deter a tyrant from taking over in the first place, not so much to regain control after one took over. Secondarily it would be for an after the fact scenario to retake the government. But hordes of people armed with grandpa's old 10 gauge goose gun style weapon or even your dad's 30.30 deer rifle would hardy intimidate a would-be dictator. Jefferson also wrote of basic self-defense from crime as a reason.

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 2:44 PM
Leading repubs will lose my vote if they vote for gun control. Repubs are kidding themselves if they think they can start voting against their constituencies and the people that voted them in. I think the repubs are going extinct because now they are starting to back illegal alien amnesty too. I won't vote for them anymore if they don't stop this stupidity. I'll just stay home on election day. So will a lot of people. why vote Republican in the future if it's the same as voting Democrat??

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 2:39 PM
I don't care if anyone thinks an AR-15 is a good home self-defense gun or not. If the day or night ever came, I'd leave my shotgun and .45 Springfield XDM alone and go for my AR!! Period, end of discussion. Even a FMJ bullet from an AR stands little chance of going through two or three brick walls it would take to kill a neighbor accidentally. And in Viet Nam and wars since, those FMJ bullets kill with extreme lethality, since a high velocity/low energy bullet expends most of it's energy in the first target it hits. I would use my frangibles or soft-nose bullets any who. But even a FMJ bullet from a .223 ain't gonna kill your neighbor. Even a JHP from my .45 would go through an intruder and keep going a while.

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 2:27 PM
I have to have mags to shoot my five rounds!! If anybody keeps a mag loaded up with 20 or 30 shots in it they are not gun saavy. This will weaken the spring within a couple of months and it may fail to feed properly. And no, there ain't a lot of magazines out now, people have bought them all up and any remaining are expensive. Try and get an AR mag now, go ahead, you won't get one until manufacturers ramp up a bit!! People here aren't too bright.....

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 2:24 PM
I meant 30 shot, not 20, I may have one old 20 shot clip from the Viet Nam era. And if I knew I had 5 rounds in my mag, I would not shoot a sixth time so they would not hear a 'click' to indicate an empty rifle!!

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 2:19 PM
OK, good point.

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 2:18 PM
Shoot an intruder with bird shot and you'll likely just pizz him off. I'm glad I don't life in your house!!!

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 2:17 PM
AR mags aren't cheap or plentiful any more!! Just try to get one now. Since the Conn. shooting zillions of people have been buying them up. where have you been lately?? and with frangible bullets, an AR-15 makes a great home self-defense gun. I have both shotguns and a .45acp pistol that would not even get my slightest consideration if someone broke in my house. But my AR would be out and loaded in seconds. A .45 acp would penetrate through walls and have a greater chance of killing my neighbor accidentally any day of the week. AR-15 bullets are high velocity but it does not take much to stop them at all!!!

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 2:16 PM

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 12:41 PM
To continue, most likely, even if you had ten guys break into your house, the sound of one or two rounds fired from an AR-5 should cause them to flee immediately. Or the sight of one of their comrades falling from one or two of the five shots I would have loaded into my 20 shot magazine would also send the others scattering. So I'm an assault rifle owner with 20 round mags that has never and will never load 20 shots into one of my 20 shot mags. Even going out to traget shoot I might load 10 rounds into one but never all 20. I could survive with a large capacity mag ban!!!

Guns and Love

Anonymous6702 Wrote: Jan 14, 2013 12:36 PM
I'm a member of both the NRA and Gun Owners of America. The only ban I would actually be OK with is large capacity mags. I own an assault rifle and many high capacity mags. I have an AR-15 that I keep for self defense unloaded. But in case of a criminal break-in, I have a stripper clip with five rounds attached to one of my 20 shot mags that I would use to strip in the five rounds into the mag and load my weapon in case of an intruder. I would not load all 20 rounds, nor would I need to. If you can't subdue an intruder with five rounds you are a a bad shot and a bad gun owner. I use a stripper clip because it's a bad idea to leave rounds loaded into a mag for long periods of time because it weakens the magazine spring.