Vienna was home to 23 synagogues prior to World War II, only one of which outlasted the Nazis --the Stadttempel, which was constructed in 1825 and 1826 and which survived Kristallnacht in November, 1938. This beautiful house of worship was saved because the emperor had ordered that it be built behind facades and as part of an organic structure which included apartment buildings and which shielded passers-by on the street from the view of a non-Catholic house of worship. The terrorists of Kristallnacht could not torch the temple without burning down the homes of gentiles and without endangering one of...
That wasn't a slam at the Catholic Church. Austria's state religion was a heavily state-controlled Catholic Church. Even Protestant churches were suppressed for the benefit of the state, first, the Habsburg empire, then the socialist government. Don't be set off by that comment. It's not a slam, it's true. Austria is a great example of what happens when the state controls religion.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Teamsters appeal to “Top Chef” for employment by threatening to bash in Padma Lakshmi’s face Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- “Today is a miraculous day”: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks after recovering from Ebola Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- YouGov poll: Most Americans, and most Democrats, do not wish Hillary had won in 2008 Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Report: Obama’s Bergdahl swap violated the law Noah Rothman 7 hours ago