The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported last Tuesday that employers issued 1,316 "mass layoff actions" (affecting 50 workers or more) in September; more than 122,000 workers were affected overall. USA Today financial reporter Matt Krantz wrote that "(m)uch of the recent layoff activity is connected to what's been the slowest period of earnings growth since the third quarter...
Romney’s Vultures Cash In On Auto Bailout, Tell GM And US Treasury ‘Give Us Our Money Or We Will Shut You Down’ (VIDEO) Romney may have argued “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt” in his 2008 New York Times editorial, but he and his wife still managed to cash in a whopping $15.3 million from the auto industry bailout. In this week’s exposé for The Nation, “Mitt Romney’s Bailout Bonanza,” investigative journalist, Greg Palast, explains how Paul “the Vulture” Singer — Romney’s friend, business partner, major donor, and key campaign adviser — extorted $12 billion from US. taxpayers. http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/10/29/romneys-vultures-cash-in-on-auto-bailout-tell-gm-and-us-treasury-give-us-our-money-or-we-will-shut-you-down-video/
In June, a diffident and self-deluded President Obama claimed that "the private sector is doing fine." Last week, the private sector responded: Speak for yourself, buster. Who needs an "October Surprise" when the business headlines are broadcasting the imminent layoff bomb in neon lights?
- Kochs’ next dastardly deed: Creating good public defenders for low-income accused Mary Katharine Ham 17 mins ago
- Reading the early voting tea leaves: Republicans closing the gap Mary Katharine Ham 57 mins ago
- White House to red-state Democrats: Don’t blame Precious if you lose Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- ISIS mortar shells now landing in Baghdad’s Green Zone Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- SCOTUS to consider police searches of hotel registries Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Monica Lewinsky’s return is scaring Hillary’s backers Noah Rothman 3 hours ago