The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported last Tuesday that employers issued 1,316 "mass layoff actions" (affecting 50 workers or more) in September; more than 122,000 workers were affected overall. USA Today financial reporter Matt Krantz wrote that "(m)uch of the recent layoff activity is connected to what's been the slowest period of earnings growth since the third quarter...
Romney’s Vultures Cash In On Auto Bailout, Tell GM And US Treasury ‘Give Us Our Money Or We Will Shut You Down’ (VIDEO) Romney may have argued “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt” in his 2008 New York Times editorial, but he and his wife still managed to cash in a whopping $15.3 million from the auto industry bailout. In this week’s exposé for The Nation, “Mitt Romney’s Bailout Bonanza,” investigative journalist, Greg Palast, explains how Paul “the Vulture” Singer — Romney’s friend, business partner, major donor, and key campaign adviser — extorted $12 billion from US. taxpayers. http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/10/29/romneys-vultures-cash-in-on-auto-bailout-tell-gm-and-us-treasury-give-us-our-money-or-we-will-shut-you-down-video/
In June, a diffident and self-deluded President Obama claimed that "the private sector is doing fine." Last week, the private sector responded: Speak for yourself, buster. Who needs an "October Surprise" when the business headlines are broadcasting the imminent layoff bomb in neon lights?
- WSJ: Obama will require military to get his personal approval for U.S. strikes in Syria Allahpundit 50 mins ago
- Video: Scotland goes to the polls on independence Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Chaffetz to DHS Secretary: Did you hear the one about the four suspected terrorists who tried to walk across the border? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- The left’s war on football Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Does the Left really reject Hillary? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Australian raids net more than a dozen terror suspects before planned wave of attacks Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago