The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported last Tuesday that employers issued 1,316 "mass layoff actions" (affecting 50 workers or more) in September; more than 122,000 workers were affected overall. USA Today financial reporter Matt Krantz wrote that "(m)uch of the recent layoff activity is connected to what's been the slowest period of earnings growth since the third quarter...
Romney’s Vultures Cash In On Auto Bailout, Tell GM And US Treasury ‘Give Us Our Money Or We Will Shut You Down’ (VIDEO) Romney may have argued “Let Detroit Go Bankrupt” in his 2008 New York Times editorial, but he and his wife still managed to cash in a whopping $15.3 million from the auto industry bailout. In this week’s exposé for The Nation, “Mitt Romney’s Bailout Bonanza,” investigative journalist, Greg Palast, explains how Paul “the Vulture” Singer — Romney’s friend, business partner, major donor, and key campaign adviser — extorted $12 billion from US. taxpayers. http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/10/29/romneys-vultures-cash-in-on-auto-bailout-tell-gm-and-us-treasury-give-us-our-money-or-we-will-shut-you-down-video/
In June, a diffident and self-deluded President Obama claimed that "the private sector is doing fine." Last week, the private sector responded: Speak for yourself, buster. Who needs an "October Surprise" when the business headlines are broadcasting the imminent layoff bomb in neon lights?
- WMD in Iraq a rather nuanced issue Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Perry: Rand Paul’s position on Iraq is “disheartening … curiously blind” Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Joni Ernst will miss two weeks on the campaign trail… to serve in uniform Jazz Shaw 4 hours ago
- UN Security Council issues non-binding call for cease fire in Gaza Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- UAW decides to skip election and form union at VW anyway Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Pelosi’s office retreats on Hobby Lobby “ban” claim Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago